Saturday, May 13, 2017

Give it away. So there's nothing left.


Part of the Christian faith is framed in the message of Agape love. That is, to give as Christ gave, in the sense that you expect nothing in return.

It's not always easy. To me, that means leaving a little piece of yourself behind, every time you help or set an example for another.

Much of my motivation is to support and develop future leaders among university students. That may be in the form of listening and saying little in return. Or, making short prompting comments that lead a discussion - and learning opportunity - to a deeper level.

As Master Competitor, much of what I have left won't be age group wins, or a PR in ultras. It's modeling fitness and enjoyment of outdoor engagement. To be "my age" and knock out a 14 mile out and back on rugged trail can set a standard where "if he can do it, so can I!"

To stay aware that I must encourage all, to leave no one behind. To meet each student where they are, on that day in their maturity and development journey.

You might have heard the saying "less is more." I twist that a bit and ponder that as I become less, those around me become more.

I believe in the end, I will have left nothing behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment