Saturday, May 13, 2017

I quit, I'm back. What makes a runner?

Thought I hit the threshold on running. I was simply tired. Running became more of a struggle than enjoyment. I was slipping...from 9 minute miles, to 10, then 12. I was ashamed.

I was running in my hometown in Wisconsin. A friend drove by in his truck and yelled "If that's all the faster you can go, better head straight to the hospital!" Maybe funny to him, but that narrative broke my psychological bank. I was done.

So, six months progressed. I became a walker. Still OK, did 4-6 miles a day and did Total Gym. Also cycling on the weekends, many times 50+ miles.

But, I was empty inside. I realized running drove everything else. My identity, my motivation to eat well, my desire to set goals.

I am a runner in my mind. So now, I am back.

Currently traveling in Greece. Went out for a shuffle in Santorini, 30 minutes out and back. Mostly down on the way up, climbing on the way back. One hour and 12.5 minutes a mile.

Sure it's not a stellar race pace. But I am 60 years old. And I am a runner.

Who ever you are, what ever place you are at, you can be in the club. Set the vision in your own mind. Don't let others manipulate how you arrange your thoughts.

Come join me. I would like you to be on the journey. Everyone is welcome, none are left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment