Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Break(down)

You have to look closely (click and enlarge photo if needed), but when you do, check out the 5th metacarpal (bone furthest from thumb).

The diagonal break is symbolic of what happens when your mountain bike handlebars snap around 360 degrees, and those bars catch your hand against the bike frame during the rotation.

Well there you have it. I got up after my ride over the bars and knew something was wrong, but didn't want to admit it. Rode about three miles back to the car, then went a week with some ice and heat. Thought it was good, until I smacked the same bone on the bars during a road ride the following weekend.

Time to stop the charades and get to urgent care.

For the past three weeks, I have been in a formed splint that kept the pinkie and ring fingers immobilized in a hooked formation. Don't want those tendons to move across the bone. As the doc stated, it's a "forgiving" break, but nonetheless you don't want to give the bone any excuse to shift; that would change the break from a non-dislocated to something that needs surgery and a pin.

Today I was able to transition from the splint to a wrist brace. My fingers are freed up and I can type again. Some little things produce big outcomes. I did all my final semester grading (and extensive typing) using a right hand/peck with pointer finger left hand technique.

Here's the master competitor word on the day: If you're overweight, out of shape, and more flabby than fit...don't ride. As we age, reflex time naturally slows and a blob body only adds to the likelihood you're going down.

And when you get up, some things might be broken.

This isn't exactly a new year's resolution, but instead a personal response to the crash. We can't be what we were, but we can optimize for age. If I can optimize, I'll ride again. If I wash out and don't optimize, game over.

It's like that in most aspects of life. Bring your best game, or don't play. That's something I strive to express when I wrote Mind Over Diet. You have to build your plan, then execute. No one can tell you when or how to succeed; you have to assemble the pieces and connect then in a linear form.

Let's all regroup and see what we can come up with in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment