Thursday, July 10, 2014

The psychology of fat

I'm fairly deep into phase two of summer; that's the part where I pay penance for travel and out of control eating. I teach a summer session course, while the rest of my time is mine. That time is usually invested into eating like a social pariah and putting in 2-4 hours of base exercise a day.

But here's the interesting part: This time around, I'm using the same tactics that worked in that past two summers but I'm not getting the results. Simply doing the calorie math (3500 cals = one pound) I should be dropping more weight. But in reality, I'm only down 7 pounds and 1% body fat over three (3) weeks of penance.

When I wrote Mind Over Diet,  the premise was that each of us needs to engage the content that is available, vet the facts, then decide on our own accord what the best plan will be. Engagement = knowledge = power.

So on this day, I'm circling back to more information, more pathways that might allow me to bust out of this plateau and reduce. Google+ gave me the jump start I needed, through a post by Neila Rey: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+NeilaRey/posts/MZEGd4Jr1L5. That led to a response post that stated:

If you want something thats laid out perfectly for you that I've found to be unbelievably effective, look into Ashley Conrad's 21 day clutch cut. It's absolutely perfect and 100% attainable.

-Holly Yeoman, NASM certified Personal Trainer

So, I ventured into the material by Ashley Conrad and downloaded her free PDF. That led me to revisit breakfast prior to working out...something I never do. It also revived my self-negotiated debate regarding protein intake; Ashley says 1 gram per pound of weight per day.

There's no right or wrong, just relentless forward motion. Social media has some of the answers, if you mine it judiciously and search for gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment