Thursday, April 03, 2014

Brooks Transcend: It's good for what ails you


DISCLAIMER: I'm a Brooks promotional athlete. Have been for a long time, almost 20 years. So, in a research sense, I may be biased.

Now that I have that out of the way, let me post a quick shout out to the new Brooks more-is-better model, the Transcend. Here's a promo statement from the brooksrunning.com website:

"Explore plush new worlds and leave behind the traditional laws of comfort with the all-new Brooks Transcend. On a mission to maximize the Float experience, every element of this shoe was innovated using biomechanical insights. From the Ideal Pressure Zones that disperse impact to the Guide Rails that provide on-demand support, not to mention the plush comfort of Super DNA cushioning, the Transcend’s thoughtful design will blow your mind. Head reassembly not included."

Let me add a few comments. I'm a guy who has run in almost every shoe Brooks ever made, from the early days into the more recent Pure Project line. I may be on the trail in Cascadia, then gingerly earn a few road miles in the wispy Drift. But today, let's talk Transcend.

The shoe reminds me of a Brooks flagship model, the Beast, but with a low(er) heel drop and new high tech cushioning. This shoe is beefy, supportive and soaks up impact. I wouldn't consider it a "fast" shoe, but then I'm not a fast runner, am I?

With the low heel drop comes padding that distributes across the entire foot pad. I noted that when doing some tough road ascents, I could feel the shock absorbing effect well into the toe-box.

Here comes my political statement on the day: No disrespect here, but much of the imaging for running products are fit, attractive 20-somethings who are busting out yet another PR. That's surely a segment in the sport, but there's another large, money-in-their-wallet consumer group - that's the older and possibly heavier runner.

If that's you, consider ponying up the $160 for a pair of Transcend. They are stable, support well, and will lessen the shock. You can talk shoes all day, but for many of us, that's the bottom line. We need a shoe that will help us stay in the game, at possible a slower speed and shorter distance.

I'd go as far as stating that the Transcend may buy you a few extra years in the sport. They make me feel like I'm taking care of myself when I wear them. Maybe that's enough for you, too.

For those of you who would like a bit more info...check out this Road Runner Sports review:



3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:31 PM

    Does the Transcend have more cushioning and support then the Brooks Beast? I've worn the Beast for about 20 years now and like you Im and an older, bigger runner (49 years old, 6'3" , 210 lbs) Thanks for all the info on the Brooks Transcend maybe Ill go try a pair on. Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neil I think the Transcend will work well for you. It's much like the Beast, but the low heel drop is more natural. And, the cushioning is more high tech; Brooks states it's as much as 30% more. It's not a spongy shoe, but it does absorb impact. Let me know if you try a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas - awesome write up on the Transcend! I'm an online Fit Expert at Road Runner Sports and came across your write up here when I was researching for our Brooks Transcend educational page. We've created a video breaking down the benefits and features of this shoe. We love offering these as embeds to some of the top bloggers out on the internet writing about those specific shoes. Would you be interested? Either way, awesome blog -- keep up the good work!! Feel free to email me at rwilliams-at-roadrunnersports.com

    ReplyDelete