Skip to main content

Running in Sydney: A few observations

www.gardenvisit.com
It's been six years, but I found myself back in Sydney, Australia this past week.

It's a runners paradise. Where ever you are, just head for the opera house at the harbor. I'm staying in the infamous Kings Cross area (Google it for more details) and from there can run due west to Hyde Park; at that point, I hit all my running marks from my previous visit.  Run north through Hyde's, then veer left towards St. Mary's and pick up the road leading into the botanical gardens area.You can route through that area then connect to a nice paved access to the opera house. From there, do the Rocky thing, run up the stairs, pump your fists, and claim victory.

A few comments:

There are several species of bats in Sydney. The ones in the gardens are as big as owls. We were informed they were removed five weeks prior for health reasons. Darn.

A comparison of runners, Sydney vs. a USA counterpart? I'd put the Aussie crew from bottom to top at 25% to 30% faster. Everyone has a grimace on their face and is making painful guttural sounds. It's an anaerobic sort of thing.

Traffic is reversed so look left and right. I almost got nailed this morning by a Mercedes. And the same with running, stay far left as runner will expect that. It's not intuitive.

Bananas taste better down under. So sweet they are like candy.

I entered the Sydney 13.1 on May 19 so I guess I'll train for that.  Good to be back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Break(down)

You have to look closely (click and enlarge photo if needed), but when you do, check out the 5th metacarpal (bone furthest from thumb).

The diagonal break is symbolic of what happens when your mountain bike handlebars snap around 360 degrees, and those bars catch your hand against the bike frame during the rotation.

Well there you have it. I got up after my ride over the bars and knew something was wrong, but didn't want to admit it. Rode about three miles back to the car, then went a week with some ice and heat. Thought it was good, until I smacked the same bone on the bars during a road ride the following weekend.

Time to stop the charades and get to urgent care.

For the past three weeks, I have been in a formed splint that kept the pinkie and ring fingers immobilized in a hooked formation. Don't want those tendons to move across the bone. As the doc stated, it's a "forgiving" break, but nonetheless you don't want to give the bone any excuse to shift; that…

Nothing to see here, folks

It's been a long time since I've been active on my blog. To be honest, I got tired of putting in the work, creating content, with so little feedback or response. Time to divert to other things...such as my new fiction book, coming out soon. Part horror story, part steamy romance. You'll definitely want a copy.

There's another reason I haven't been posting. My endurance spirit is broken.

Some medical issues, some sadness is loss of speed. I don't have much range left in my pulse rate and I have put on a blob of weight.

I "ran" my 10 mile loop this morning...in 2:18. Is that ugly, or what? An overall fatigue follows the run. I remember a few years ago, I'd bang it out in straight 9's for a 1:30 - and at that time had a long section of medium effort trail included, too.

It's the new normal. It's age appropriate. I'll be 59 in two weeks. Let's get real.

Rode my mountain bike Sunday after church. Don't know what I hit but I went…

Fitness setback? Use the healing power of plants

Maybe you're like me. You had achieved a fitness and nutrition peak, but then slid off the mountain. Hey, most of us aren't professional athletes and we aren't paid to be ripped and shredded, right? Life got in the way. I produced my dossier for tenure, then finished several academic publications. And, there is always teaching and a responsilbity to the student experience. I'm not proud of the outcome, but that's how it works for me. When I wrote "Mind Over Diet" the key premise was self-negotiation. You must create your own scenarios that drive action. It's time to start over. My advice is to build your comeback with food, not exercise. Everyone wants to run to the gym and crank the big workouts...how long does that usually last? I'd suggest the food is the ultimate change agent. Eat as close to "alive" as possible; take the processing and chemicals out. Fresh food will bring life back into your body. That's the foundation. Here…