Thursday, January 03, 2013

What's your core identity?

2013 marks my 30th year in endurance sport.  It's something to relish and also ponder. I have discovered my life is viewed through the lens of an endurance sport athlete.

I could be many other things - academic, business leader, maybe adviser or volunteer - but when I see myself, I see a compilation of the training and events that have shaped me.

Nothing remains bigger than a 100 mile finish. It's that point in time when your body screams stop, again and again, hour after hour...yet you tell your brain I can do it, I'm good enough, it's worth it in the end.

Then you finish the race, punch a validation card that lives in your mind, and move forward.

There's more to it than that, maybe it's my arsenal of running shirts that I wear with jeans, or my warmed over running shoes that serve as daily footwear. Or maybe the strength that has built inside, when other dimensions of my world push in.  It may hurt, but I will complete the task.

How do you perceive yourself?  Do running accomplishments fit into your core identity? If so, how?

It's an interesting conversation for the start of a new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment