Thursday, January 31, 2013

Tim Ferriss snorts Desmopressin




http://www.fourhourworkweek.com
I've been into a new podcast that takes training and exercise in a bit different direction. It's Fat Burning Man Abel James, and his Paleo approach to life.

On a recent podcast, James interviews Tim Ferriss. Ferriss' claim to fame is the "4 Hour" series, which includes the 4-hour workweek, 4-hour body and 4-hour chef:

http://www.fatburningman.com/tim-ferriss-the-4-hour-chef-meditation-and-eating-crickets/

Ferriss' blog is about "lifestyle design" and I must say I find it intriguing. The MO is to challenge and unpack preconceptions we may hold about various topics - from playing the guitar to losing 20 pounds of fat in 30 days...with no exercise.

Ferriss gets into his attempts to heighten the learning experience and to that end, gets into snorting Desmopressin:


"My interest in accelerating learning started at a biochemical level.

In 1996, as a planned neuroscience major at Princeton University, I began experimenting with a panoply of smart drugs (nootropics) I’d imported to the U.S. under the FDA personal importation policy.5

After four weeks, I’d fine-tuned a routine for Mandarin Chinese character quizzes: 15 minutes prior to class, I would administer two hits of vaporized desmopressin in each nostril. Desmopressin is a synthetic version of vasopressin, a naturally occurring anti-diuretic and peptide hormone. As a nasal spray, it is often prescribed for children who bed-wet past a certain age. I was more interested in its off-label applications for short-term memory.

Putting theory into practice, it looked like this:

1. Two hits of desmopressin in each nostril.
2. Flip through characters in Chinese Primer: Character Text almost as quickly as I could turn the pages.
3. Score 100% on the quiz 5–10 minutes later."


You can check out his link below to learn more. I'm not going to endorse nor pass judgement on this character, but it's worth your time take a peek at his method and delivery!

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/the-4-hour-chef-meta-sampler/

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:40 PM

    Tim Ferriss never ceases to amaze me. Not just that his knowledge is broad, but that his knowledge is deep (or he does a good job of making it look that way). I mean, "a naturally occurring anti-diuretic and peptide hormone". He sets the knowledge bar high, and we all need a good challenge.
    -Nate

    ReplyDelete