Friday, November 16, 2012

I can't survive. I'm 55.

It's been a long while since I've sent out a master man post.  I'd thought it's time to come in for a landing and explain.

A while back, I "ran" the Dupont Forest 50K near Asheville, North Carolina.  Quaint little event, where I had a nice visit doing the miles with my ultra buddy Rob Apple. The downside was my pace.  I was just north of 8 hours and came in second to last.

Ever finish a race at the tail end of the pack? It ain't pretty.  Race promoter seemed  more than ready to shut down the finish line; there were two cars in the parking lot and post-race food consisted of a few lonely scones, the remnants of goodies contributed by race sponsor Bracken Mountain Bakery.

I'd like to tell you it's all good, but it hurts.  I'm getting slower each season, yet still want to be part of the sport. My ego gets in the way.  I was never a winner, but for decades was a solid top 1/3 of the field dude. But that was then, this is now, and I'm bringing up the rear at most events.

I don't know what's in store for 2013. I continue to have a passion for endurance sport and what it does in people's lives.  I encourage others; that was the premise of this blog when I created it. Emotion wells up inside me when I see individuals get strong on the inside through accomplishments in running and cycling.  The revelation "I can do this!" resonates deep and a stronger human emerges.

I've been part of the Brooks promotional team for over 20 years and that too holds merit. Embracing the camaraderie and passion that bubbles up from the Brooks squad is infectious. I love to read Facebook posts about the team's trials, tribulations and victories.

So, that's the rub. I am declawed, still am in a way. If you'd like to join the 50+ conversation, drop a comment and we'll carry it forward.

3 comments:

  1. Not 55, but 43 and seeing the writing on the wall.

    But I ain't gonna quit because of that. And you shouldn't either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John M.12:45 AM

    Tom, I've posted on your Retro MX blog a few times. I'm still looking for that 1980 Cycle News East with my picture in it. I have been an overexerciser since I read about the Rolf Tibblin mx schools in the early 70s.

    I think you have lost too much muscle mass. Have you ever heard of crossfit? Both my brother and I are in our 50s, we have both have improved a lot using some (him) or a lot (me) of the crossfit principles. I loosely follow www.sealfit.com. I think 6 months of this will get you back in business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John thanks...I have been sick and have back problems a present. But I do plan to get back into strength training. Maybe I will product a new YouTube video with my new master fit circuit training.

    ReplyDelete