Friday, March 16, 2012

Wausau reporter shows me east side running loop

I am in town visiting my family and decided to contact the Wausau Daily Herald's ace reporter, Keith Uhlig. I've been able to stay in touch with the local scene in Wausau through an RSS feed of the Daily Herald into my Yahoo! home page...so each and every day, I can live a small piece of my home town life. 

Keith covers everything from new town development to political trysts, but he's also a champion of the endurance sport life - running, cycling and cross-country skiing. We set aside time to share a run at 8 am this morning.

I ran about 5 miles on my normal loop, then circled over to the YMCA to start the second loop of the day with Keith.  He chaperoned me on a wonderful 4 mile east side run, up some hills and out into the country, then back to town.  We jogged at an easy pace and talked of all things in Wausau...and also about keeping the endurance sport spirit alive among master competitors.

It's all good. Running is that sort of sport, you simply reach out to another runner anywhere in the world and convene a run.  It's one of the most fitting "how do you do?" introductions I have ever known.

Thanks, Keith, for sharing part of your day with me. It's yet another valuable Wausau memory, tied to a new friend and my favorite sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment