Saturday, March 24, 2012

Waffles: Perfect snack for lightweight runners

http://food-easy-recipes.find-how.com
My sweet tooth was getting the best of me this evening; I wanted to walk from campus over to Frogurt for a big cup of good stuff, but it was raining and cold.

So when I plan to stay in at night and want something to come close to dessert, I whip up a hot batch of waffles. I'm not eating bread, donuts or other dough-based foods, so my waffle jag is the closest I get to that category of goodies.

Now let me put a new spin on your waffle intake. No syrup, no butter, nothing on top at all.  If you make 'em right, they become hot, low-cal pastries, hot out of the waffle maker.

Here's how it's done:

1) Buy a "complete" version of pancake and waffle mix...that means all you need to add is water.

2) I like to mix my batter in a mixing cup. No precise measurements, just put about 1.5 cups of waffle mix in the cup, add water and mix until the consistency is slightly on the thin side.

3) Stir in a few scoops of Splenda...sweeten to taste (I add about 3 heaping tablespoons).

4) Heat your waffle maker to high; I like to grease mine with a spray of olive oil just before I pour in the batter.

5) Let the mix hit the griddle and cook for about 2 minutes. You should extract a light, fluffy, hot treat.  I eat mine like finger food, just pull a piece off and let it melt in your mouth!

This isn't a bad hit on the calorie column.  You can have 2-3 medium size waffles for about 320 calories. If you're planning to be a long term lightweight master competitor, it's important to innovate.  Think outside the box and create treats that aren't bad for the body and that keep the fat cells at bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment