Thursday, February 09, 2012

I hate crashing on the trail

Here's the remnants of this morning's trail run, courtesy of a stubbed toe and consequent crash to the ground.

It's fortunate that we've experienced a mild winter here in the North Carolina mountains, but lack of snow doesn't mean the frozen and rough ground is forgiving.

I was headed up a trail section I've traversed dozens of times before. I caught my foot on something and before there was time to react, I was slammed on the ground.  Ouch, that hurts.

Good news in winter is that our bodies are covered with running apparel, so my Brooks tights took part of the  impact, as did fabric covering my elbows, forearms and hands...all points of impact.

Has this happened to you? I must admit that as the years roll by, kissing the dirt is becoming a bit too common. It seems to go in spurts; sometimes I'm good for a season, then during another period I'm face-planting on a weekly basis.

So there's really nothing more to say or do than to shake it off, lather up the affected area, then coat with an antibiotic ointment. Besides the stinging I'm all good and ready for more aerobic fun tomorrow.

As the Brooks mantra states, Run Happy. No matter what happens on any given day, staying upbeat about the opportunity to run is #1.

No comments:

Post a Comment