Sunday, December 18, 2011

Happy birthday to me



It was a big day in the life of master man.  After a rough endurance sport season that included my crash-o-rama on the mountain bike and "I can only see white" allergic reaction to yellow jacket venom, I was ready for things to wind down to a quiet conclusion for 2011.

So, the meter click over and I tagged 55 today.  Yikes.  There's some hard miles on this body and at times one needs to recharge. That requires a substantial amount of calories - check out the sugar monster in the pic. It had everything I needed for instant energy...laden with Reese's peanut butter cups on one side and crushed Butterfinger on the other.

Then things got over the top when I opened my gifts and there it was - a Garmin Forerunner 405. Now, it the tips of my fingers, I'll be able to track speed, distance, heart rate and time. Walk the watch within 3 feet of my laptop and all the data gets sucked out of the watch into the computer.

So now I have to face the realities of training.  I'll know the facts and the facts don't lie.  Each of my 90 minute loops will be exposed...I'll know the distance and pace and average heart thumps en route.

That's a lot of information.  I wonder if it will make me want to get better. I haven't wanted or expected that for a long time.  I ran the Birmingham loop this morning before church and was thinking more down the lines of diet and yoga in 2012.  After that I was thinking about boxing lessons. Now I'm pondering the dismantling of my running parameters, as I'll be able to define what slow really looks like.

There's room for improvement.  Maybe the disclosure that I've been avoiding will motivate to me push the package. I'm not about more, I'm not about better...but with the Garmin in the game, the feedback will be a new dimension that will be impossible to ignore.

1 comment:

  1. I want a waterproof 310xt. Great gift! Just being able to train by HR is going to make a huge difference for you.

    ReplyDelete