Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Garmin Forerunner 405: Data doesn't lie

I've been strapping on the new Garmin and heart rate monitor for morning runs.  Now have data from both the Birmingham and Wausau, WI, loops.

Things I have learned:

I'm a bit faster on the Wausau  loop - 10 minute/mile average vs. 10:34 minute/mile for the Birmingham loop. That's interesting because there's ice on portions of the course in WI.

Not much elevation to report...about 800 feet up and down in AL and 175 feet in WI.

Pulse has very little range - I maxed at 131 bpm on the Wausau loop, climbing Callon Street hill this morning.

A true master competitor might observe and track each of these dimensions, watch for trends, and then chip away at improvement.

I won't.

There is only one training solution for master man: Get light(er).

I'm so frail that pushing on increased speed or endurance might crash me for the 2012 racing season.  The only logical way to get faster is to pull less fat along the trail.  Less weight means that the same effort will carry you farther at a faster pace.

Runner's World states that a five pound weight loss will take more than two minutes off a half marathon time:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-13253-0,00.html

I always go big and would be looking for a 20 pound loss.  The math says I'd be about 20 minutes faster at a 50K.

Some may run intervals, flaunt the fartlek or go big on miles.  I'll stop shoveling bread pudding into my pie hole and take it from there.  Do all paths lead to the same destination? We'll have to see if my path takes me where I need to be in the endurance sport life.

No comments:

Post a Comment