Thursday, December 01, 2011

Exercise now...become a fit senior citizen

I have been able to overcome my whine fest after getting my butt kicked at the Oak Mountain trails.  I have a tendency to focus on the fastest and generalize over the entire population of riders.  I may be slow, but not the slowest.  Sometimes as we age, it's important to step back and look at the entire journey.

Here's a shout out to my mom and dad.  They have maintained a solid aerobic base over many years and it's been payday at this point in life.  They're now in their mid-80's.  Mom still gets to the YMCA for a workout 3-4 times a week; dad has been a fast paced walker for many years, covering six miles on most days.

Many folks their age are confined to wheelchairs or reside in assisted living homes. Life-long fitness plays a huge factor in the quality of life, later in life.

So maybe I'm getting my behind handed to me on the mountain bike loop, but I'm out getting exercise nonetheless. I'm not winning the race back to the parking lot, but I hope to be winning the race for enhancing living, just like my parents.

1 comment: