Friday, November 04, 2011

Plantar Fasciitis: "...and then it just went away"

When you're struggling through long term endurance sport injuries, I don't think much can be worse than foot damage. It's something you just can't pamper, because it's not as if you can stop using a foot, like one can with a wounded arm or shoulder.

I've been communicating with several other hard core runners about my plantar fasciitis.  The common thread in those discussions is how long and severe the pain can be...but then how quickly it dissipates.

Check out the following from ultra icon Eric Clifton, winner of the Badwater 135 and record holder at JFK 50 mile:

Hope the pf and assorted ills are getting much better. Sounds like you have a handle on the pf. I had it in both feet for 3 years. The cure for me was a little extreme. Going up one of the many steep hills at the Barkely Marathons in the middle of the second loop I noticed that my pf had completely disappeared in both feet, never to return so far. I think all those really steep hills finally "super" stretched the fascia out completely. Only 12 hours of hard work to clear up a nagging injury.

Others have reported similar outcomes. I am somewhat into the same sort of recovery...hammered my foot into submission at the Cumberland Trail 50K and that session of roots and rocks seems to have offered more relief than ice, rest, anti-inflammatories, massage and ultrasound.

Sometimes one just has to get tough with the injury and take control. Maybe my injury will be back but for now...it just went away.

2 comments:

  1. Tom, sounds a lot like the running described in the New York Times this past Sunday. I tried it last night. NO Heel strike is the basic premise. Running on toes like the Tukamharas. I've been running our route at Highbanks recently, up and down as you know, and find running exclusively on toes is really what careful, (old guy careful), running is. I think there's something there. I still remember running marathons in the eighties in the lightest Nike Hurache or other flat I could find. Anyway, members should take a peak at the article. Fix the pf and maybe extend our running season/life. Thanks Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We offers prime services and solutions, with the goal of providing the best and latest technology in Plantar Fasciitis at highly competitive prices.

    ReplyDelete