Saturday, September 03, 2011

Zack Galifianakis is Curly


One big aspect of my benefit package at Appalachian State is $1 movies most every weekend.

I stepped out last night to view "Hangover 2."  Quite a few laughs and off-color humor, inclusive of the drug-dealing monkey that smokes cigarettes.

Zack Galifianakis marches to his own beat of humor.  I recently learned the quirky comedian calls Wilkesboro, NC home.  And that's also home to my wonderful mountain bike trails, if and when I can return to them.

I hit me during the film that Zack both looks like and in some ways mirrors the antics of another great visual comedian, Jerome Lester Horwitz, aka "Curly" from the Three Stooges. If I'm bringing something forward you aren't aware of, check out their official website at http://www.threestooges.com/.

Schema theory tell us we have a bunch of facts and experiences banging around in our brain bucket. If put in some specific order, our schema helps us explain the world and how it works.  If new information coincides with our schema,  it forms a positive brand association.  If new data conflicts with our schema, we experience dissonance and then attempt to somehow make the disassociated pieces of knowledge sync.

That's actually an academic set-up for my positive association between Zack and Curly.  I used to love the antics of Curly and the slapstick Three Stooges humor; now in turn I enjoy Galifianakis as he brings forward some of the same mannerisms and facial expressions.

Curly didn't live long (1903-1952).  It's possible that Zack is carrying his form of humor forward.  And for me, that's a good schema day.

No comments:

Post a Comment