Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Reader writes about cycling etiquette

Ohio ultra posse member Mike Cleary dropped a nice comment onto the master competitor blog regarding cycling and shared use of bikeways:

Thanks for this bike post. How fortuitous. Not just the organized ride but how about the casual ride. My 24 miler from my back door on the Alum Creek Bike Path just became a 36+ ride. There's a bridge over Route 33 now that lets us go all the way to Pickerington Ponds. Well, actually right now you have to climb over rebar and concrete forms with bike in hand but it's doable. Here's a little something going on along the same lines.


Just because you have a five color jersey and full bike outfit doesn't mean you are living in a different world from the rest of us. It's OK to acknowledge we exist. You could even say hello. Just because you have a $4,000 bike doesn't mean you can cross into the opposite lane when cutting corners or flying into a blind underpass. And listen, just because you and your friend have bought big cruiser bikes doesn't mean you get both lanes. There are big arrows on the ground and moving to my side where the arrow is pointing at you means your missing laws of the road training.


If we bikers want to take on more of our highways as bike paths maybe we could revisit laws of the road like passing courtesy, solid yellow lines, directional arrows, warning bells or shouts. I thought when I only ran that lots of bikes were kind of insensitive. Now that I bike as much as I run I know I wasn't missing anything. There's no reason for a machine making our socialization less friendly.


Just one more thing, I put down our dog after 14 1/2 years a couple of months ago. Dogs are the nicest beings I know including humans. Though I love them, I had a little trouble being cordial when the guy with FOUR dogs on leashes was on the "no pets" part of the bike trail yesterday. Thanks Tom. Keep Moving Forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment