Skip to main content

Crashing a two-niner: Broken collarbone and separated shoulder

Life has been getting a bit "iffey" lately.  Had the wasp sting incident, now related $900 ER bill. Lost my tenant in FL house and taxes are due.  Car has emissions problems we can't seem to fix. I've been having some bad vibes ever since returning from DC on Monday.  And then...

Tested a Giant 29er Anthem at our local Rocky Knob mountain bike park yesterday morning.  Had not been on the trails so went early to pre-run the loop twice.  Nice, good jog.  Then student arrived with 29er, so very cautiously I set off on a short ride.

*($(##*##ing hydraulic brakes.  I knew they were touchy, but in a fraction of a second I had both wheels locked on a downhill and I was subsequently pitched onto a rock pile.  Didn't have to move to know I was hurt pretty bad.  Could feel the shoulder/collarbone thing, I broke the left side in the early 90's, this was on the right.  Crawled up and walked the bike back to the kid, handed it to him, told him my collarbone was broken, threw my gear in car and drove myself to ER - second time in 5 weeks.

You know the gig.  IV, meds, X-ray, doctor asking me if I hit my head.  Answer was no.

Things were not too bad, break was where tendon snapped loose, hence the gap from shoulder to bone.  Clinically it was a separation.  Possible surgery, but don't know yet.  Have ortho appointment next Friday.  Think I'm good to heal, we'll see.

Twenty-two hours after the crash, master man was back out for his post-trauma workout.  Sort of a gimpy walk/run for 60 minutes.  No sling, they inhibit range of motion.  Let pain be your guide.

And then, to literally add insult to injury, a nasty boxer-breed dog attacked me.  I was shouting the thing down, pointing my EpiPen at it like a gun.  Pregnant woman ran out with the obligatory "it doesn't bite" comment.  I always take time to tell them I have been bit before, I don't trust dogs, and I don't believe you.

Just got back to apartment. Hit the shower and let the hot water massage the shoulder.  Bone has already dropped back into place.  I rubbed some Tiger Balm and MSM on the wounded area...let's accelerate the healing process.

Been thinking a lot about my faith and God.  Faith is "things hoped for, things unseen."  I have been thanking God for most everything in my life for several months.  I now realize I was putting it in the bank for this new, darker season of life. For me, God remains in the bad times and good. I must rebuild and see when I can commence the ultra life.  All bets are off for this fall.  Just like that, running and cycling has stopped.  Something else will emerge.  God give me strength to journey on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Break(down)

You have to look closely (click and enlarge photo if needed), but when you do, check out the 5th metacarpal (bone furthest from thumb).

The diagonal break is symbolic of what happens when your mountain bike handlebars snap around 360 degrees, and those bars catch your hand against the bike frame during the rotation.

Well there you have it. I got up after my ride over the bars and knew something was wrong, but didn't want to admit it. Rode about three miles back to the car, then went a week with some ice and heat. Thought it was good, until I smacked the same bone on the bars during a road ride the following weekend.

Time to stop the charades and get to urgent care.

For the past three weeks, I have been in a formed splint that kept the pinkie and ring fingers immobilized in a hooked formation. Don't want those tendons to move across the bone. As the doc stated, it's a "forgiving" break, but nonetheless you don't want to give the bone any excuse to shift; that…

Nothing to see here, folks

It's been a long time since I've been active on my blog. To be honest, I got tired of putting in the work, creating content, with so little feedback or response. Time to divert to other things...such as my new fiction book, coming out soon. Part horror story, part steamy romance. You'll definitely want a copy.

There's another reason I haven't been posting. My endurance spirit is broken.

Some medical issues, some sadness is loss of speed. I don't have much range left in my pulse rate and I have put on a blob of weight.

I "ran" my 10 mile loop this morning...in 2:18. Is that ugly, or what? An overall fatigue follows the run. I remember a few years ago, I'd bang it out in straight 9's for a 1:30 - and at that time had a long section of medium effort trail included, too.

It's the new normal. It's age appropriate. I'll be 59 in two weeks. Let's get real.

Rode my mountain bike Sunday after church. Don't know what I hit but I went…

Fitness setback? Use the healing power of plants

Maybe you're like me. You had achieved a fitness and nutrition peak, but then slid off the mountain. Hey, most of us aren't professional athletes and we aren't paid to be ripped and shredded, right? Life got in the way. I produced my dossier for tenure, then finished several academic publications. And, there is always teaching and a responsilbity to the student experience. I'm not proud of the outcome, but that's how it works for me. When I wrote "Mind Over Diet" the key premise was self-negotiation. You must create your own scenarios that drive action. It's time to start over. My advice is to build your comeback with food, not exercise. Everyone wants to run to the gym and crank the big workouts...how long does that usually last? I'd suggest the food is the ultimate change agent. Eat as close to "alive" as possible; take the processing and chemicals out. Fresh food will bring life back into your body. That's the foundation. Here…