Skip to main content

Back in Boone: Trail running and a bike crash

Took me about 30 hours door-to-door to get from Rome to Boone, NC.

Good to be home.  Not too whacked out by time change.  Got settled on Tuesday and snicked a short gym workout in during the afternoon.

It's amazing I'm not as big as a barn based on bad eating in Italy.  I have gelato coming out of my ears.  But we also walked most all day, every day.  Different than a morning run, then letting the old rear end spread across the office chair all day.

Went out this morning and completed my greenway trails loop.  Watch a shift from a month ago.  What was a barren, brown forestland is now a plush green tunnel through the woods!

We had a pretty sad piece of news from over the weekend.  Check out the email I received about one of my Boone cycling buddies:


Subject: Chuck Hendrix Cycling Accident!
Guys we had a Brother in Jesus and Cycling take a bad Spill Saturday on the Pre-BSG 50 training ride!
He was from my understanding going down the back side of Georges Gap toward Bethel which can be a very fast
and winedy! (I know this is spelled wrong but spell check would not correct it)!! 
Chuck is now in the Hospital at Watauga Medical Center with a series of Complications and Injuries!
Not sure of the room # but you can call or maybe someone can get back with me and let me post it!
1. Broken Collarbone
2. Road Rash
3. Cracked Ribs
4. Partially Collasped Lung (I think this was re-inflated)
    and now I hear he has a:
5. Fractured Pelvis (My understanding is they are in deliberation on what to do) due to the location!
I understand this could need surgury and need to be done off the mtn!

***This was a pretty bad spill caused by mixing speed with gravel! (Like mixing Oil and Water) 
!!!!Please be careful and be aware that the rains we have been having are washing gravel into the roads
causing dangerous road conditions!!
Please let us know of extremely dangerous gravelish roads!!

Can we please keep us informed by using this Email for Chuck!

Wayne

I went to the hospital yesterday to see Chuck.  He's a hurtin' unit.  Doc was about to take the tube out of his lung as I was leaving.  Collarbone, eight cracked ribs and may have to get a plate screwed into his pelvis.  Told me he was waving a faster rider around during a quick descent; he remembers motioning the guy past and then lights out.

Remember when I posted that I don't have the gonads to descend with these boys?  The hardest part of getting old(er) is knowing one's limitations.  I don't have the skill set to keep up and if I tried, I might have the same outcome.

God bless Chuck during his recovery phase.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing to see here, folks

It's been a long time since I've been active on my blog. To be honest, I got tired of putting in the work, creating content, with so little feedback or response. Time to divert to other things...such as my new fiction book, coming out soon. Part horror story, part steamy romance. You'll definitely want a copy.

There's another reason I haven't been posting. My endurance spirit is broken.

Some medical issues, some sadness is loss of speed. I don't have much range left in my pulse rate and I have put on a blob of weight.

I "ran" my 10 mile loop this morning...in 2:18. Is that ugly, or what? An overall fatigue follows the run. I remember a few years ago, I'd bang it out in straight 9's for a 1:30 - and at that time had a long section of medium effort trail included, too.

It's the new normal. It's age appropriate. I'll be 59 in two weeks. Let's get real.

Rode my mountain bike Sunday after church. Don't know what I hit but I went…

Break(down)

You have to look closely (click and enlarge photo if needed), but when you do, check out the 5th metacarpal (bone furthest from thumb).

The diagonal break is symbolic of what happens when your mountain bike handlebars snap around 360 degrees, and those bars catch your hand against the bike frame during the rotation.

Well there you have it. I got up after my ride over the bars and knew something was wrong, but didn't want to admit it. Rode about three miles back to the car, then went a week with some ice and heat. Thought it was good, until I smacked the same bone on the bars during a road ride the following weekend.

Time to stop the charades and get to urgent care.

For the past three weeks, I have been in a formed splint that kept the pinkie and ring fingers immobilized in a hooked formation. Don't want those tendons to move across the bone. As the doc stated, it's a "forgiving" break, but nonetheless you don't want to give the bone any excuse to shift; that…

Fitness setback? Use the healing power of plants

Maybe you're like me. You had achieved a fitness and nutrition peak, but then slid off the mountain. Hey, most of us aren't professional athletes and we aren't paid to be ripped and shredded, right? Life got in the way. I produced my dossier for tenure, then finished several academic publications. And, there is always teaching and a responsilbity to the student experience. I'm not proud of the outcome, but that's how it works for me. When I wrote "Mind Over Diet" the key premise was self-negotiation. You must create your own scenarios that drive action. It's time to start over. My advice is to build your comeback with food, not exercise. Everyone wants to run to the gym and crank the big workouts...how long does that usually last? I'd suggest the food is the ultimate change agent. Eat as close to "alive" as possible; take the processing and chemicals out. Fresh food will bring life back into your body. That's the foundation. Here…