Monday, May 23, 2011

Running in Parco Cascine

Nikolay Gay (1831-1894) - 1868 Florence. The Cascina Park
It was time to stop the insanity and get my life back on track.  I have lived with reckless abandon the past two weeks, taking a reprieve from exercise and gorging myself was pasta, pizza, and 3-4 servings a day of gelato.

Master man doesn't know moderation.  I'm full on or full off. It's a gluttonous ingestion of bad foods or a full on training plan with carrots and celery.

So to a more sane end, I have resumed my running and clean diet.  Went to the grocery store yesterday to get a load of fruit - a bee shot out of the apple pile and stung me on the hand.

Completed both am and pm runs on Sunday, and another this morning, through Cascine Park, north of the River Arno on the far west side of town.  This park runs about 2 kilometers in length and offers gentle, shaded running paths.  It's impossible to get lost as the park runs along the river; once you recalibrate there, one can always jog back to Florence. 

Check out the tranquil painting by Nikolay Gay, which features his rendition of Cascine Park circa 1868.  Not much has changed.  It's a privilege to shuffle along the same paths at those who roamed the park hundreds of years before me.

The love of man to be within the embrace of nature will loom eternal.  It's a great combination.  For me, that's healthy food and running in the park.  I'm back on track and living where master competitor needs to exist.


No comments:

Post a Comment