Sunday, May 08, 2011

Guarda Firenze 10K

http://www.stefanoguidotti.it
More happy times for master man.  Ran the Guarda Firenze 10K this morning, set in the heart of the historic center of Florence.


The event is organized by the Florence Marathon, in collaboration with the Department of Sport and Education. We busted out of the Piazza (plaza)  San Giovanni, with a route that passed famous city landmarks including the Ponte Vecchio, Piazzale Michelangelo and Piazza della Signoria.


I went out slow off the back.  This was a massive crowd and I didn't see any reason to push my way into the fracas.  It was a shuffle/walk event until around 3K, when master competitor needed to go to work. I felt like a butcher in a meat shop - time to cleave some beef!


Runners are universal in one respect:  Most go out way too fast and then blow up.  I passed at least a hundred runners who couldn't hold their pace, especially up the gentle climb to Piazzale Michelangelo, which is a wonderful city view atop a high vantage point to the south of the River Arno.


I kept driving forward and overtook runners all the way to the finish chute. Time was 55 minutes  and change, which is about what I expected based on several minutes of bottleneck off the start. I was 491st overall...hey, that's almost drafting the leaders, right?


We received a nice T-shirt at the finish.  In a city where everything costs more, this race was a value.  A nominal 8 Euros = $12 was charged.  What a wonderful way to integrate into a community.  As long as there's at least one runner to pass, I'll be pounding out the competition when I can.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good run and a great time. I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete