Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bistro Roca ride lives again!


Photo courtesy Steve Lambert
Thought I'd run this photo extra large, because it may be the only time this season you'll see master man leading the pack.  I'm in all my glory...at least for the first 10 minutes of the ride...as I took it off the front as we climbed away from the Bistro Roca restaurant, on the ascent to just shy of Grandfather Mountain.


It's at that point we veer right onto the Blue Ridge Parkway and begin our journey back to Blowing Rock.  

This ride goes just under 30 miles and it takes all I can muster to hang on to the group.  I usually roll in 2-3 minutes off the pace.  My climbing ability isn't bad, but I just don't possess gonads large enough to stay in the draft on the high speed descents.

So it goes.  I'm at my 54-year-old limits and I want to live to ride another day.  But even riding close to the shadow of these mountain men and women is a privilege.  I tell them often how much I appreciate being included.

Want to see the entire slide show from the ride?  Check out the link at the Boone Area Cyclist web site:


2 comments:

  1. very cool. I'm guessing the traffic is not heavy ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:04 PM

    The traffic isn't bad at all. Honestly, I see less traffic on 221 than the parkway, but parkway drivers (locals at least) are typically respectful of riders.

    Especially with the group, you have nothing to worry about. I have ridden 221 recently. and the road has been patched nicely from last year. No more almost-leading-your-friends-into-potholes-at-30mph!

    ReplyDelete