Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Hurricane AfterShock shock pump: Tune up the rough stuff

One of my purchases over the past weekend was a tool that makes me feel liberated and free...to mess with air pressure and adjust the RockShox Tora 318 fork on my Gary Fisher Cobia 29er.

I'm not running a plush top end front suspension, but the ability to regulate air pressure, compression and rebound does offer advantages. I've asked around and there doesn't seem to be any perfect formula for benchmarking the settings.  Rather, it's a personal preference game where one needs to consider rider skill, terrain and speed.

I attached the pump to the valve and noted I was set at 110 psi.  That's on the soft side for some, but I went even softer and decreased pressure to around 100. Compression is not restricted, the lock out dial is set to full release.  I then went to the bottom of the right fork leg and cranked the rebound screw way in, towards the "tortoise" icon.  So now I'm set at spongy on the way down with a restricted recoil.

Won't know if this arrangement gives me a better ride, but I'll know after a few miles this coming Sunday.  Good grief, there are pro technicians in the MX and mountain bike world who have full time careers adjusting suspensions.  I'm just a 54-year-old wannabe who is trying to avoid more damage to his already arthritic right hand.

Sometimes it's silly, but I get a real kick out of treating myself to tools and toys. This $25 investment (on sale at Performance Bicycle in Bethesda, MD) is a gateway to making an old bike have a different and better feel.

That in itself is a hobby.

Want one of your own?  Here's the link:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031052_-1_1552500_20000_400032

1 comment:

  1. Great you work on your own bike. I've taken some basic classes, but still somewhat hesitant to go beyond the basics.

    ReplyDelete