Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cybex, weight resistance and vanity training

http://www.bodytech.net/



                     

Since my right foot continues to be tender and semi-healed, I've been headed to the gym for more winter "vanity training."  Fun to look at the models on the cover of Men's Health magazine and see how close old master man can get.  Instead of pouting over injuries and lack of my primary sport (running) I have worked to embrace the advantages of what I can accomplish. 

So in no particular order (I roll at random each day) here's my gym workout:

  • Life Fitness elliptical trainer.  Thirty minutes set on the foothills workout, max 13 setting.  Watch the trail running graphic and can get somewhere past a 5K.
  • 30-pound barbell.  30 reps with a slow, deliberate motion both up and back down.
  • Cybex lat pulldown.  Set on 60 pounds, 30 reps.
  • Cybex chest press.  Set at 40 pounds, 15 reps in vertical hand position and 15 reps in horizontal hand position.
  • Cybex cable cross-over.  I use one of the two stations and set at 60 pounds, use as a pull down device from head to waist, 30 reps.
  • Cybex modular assist dip and chin machine.  This torture device (shown above) is great.  I set it at 15 which is an 88 pound assist.  15 chin ups on outer hand position; 15 dips with inner arm position; 15 chin up with inner hand position; 15 dips with outer hand position.
  • Concept 2 rowing machine.  I set this on 8 (out of 10) and row with various workouts.  Today I hit 5000 meters in 25:20 and 5981 meters in 30 minutes.
  • Life Fitness stationary bike.  Random setting max 12 for 30 minutes.

There you have it.  It takes almost two hours and I believe it's a workout that's designed for endurance and suffering.

Have at it and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment