Skip to main content

Ultrarunner Engle sentenced to 21 months in federal prison

Breaking media news is reporting that ultrarunner Charlie Engle has been sentenced to a prison term for convictions based on a mortgage fraud scheme. 


http://images.www.news-record.com
The ultra community is polarized on Engle and his antics.  But as the news report below acknowledges, much good was generated by Engle's efforts, in spite of the tactics used to attain funds for his elaborate events.

I'll reserve judgement, just offer prayers for Charlie as he begins the next leg in his quite amazing life.


Ultramarathoner gets 21 months for mortgage fraud
By Tim McGlone
The Virginian-Pilot
January 11, 2011

Ultramarathon runner Charlie Engle ran his last foot race Sunday for
at least 21 months.

U.S. District Judge Jerome B. Friedman on Monday sentenced Engle to 21
months in federal prison after a jury in the fall found Engle guilty
of 12 counts of bank, mail and wire fraud in an Eastern Shore real
estate scam.

Citing Engle's clean record and 18 years of sobriety and charitable
work, the judge granted his request for leniency. A federal prosecutor
walked into court seeking a prison term more than double what Engle
got, claiming his deceit even after his arrest and his perjury at
trial warranted a harsh penalty.

Afterward, Engle praised the judge, saying he knew he would receive a
fair sentence.

"Obviously, I would prefer not to be in this situation at all," he
said. "Considering the worst possible scenario, I'm grateful."

Engle, surrounded by more than 40 friends and family members, received
hugs as he left court. The judge allowed Engle to turn himself in to a
designated federal prison by Feb. 14.

Engle, 48, of Greensboro, N.C., gained some notoriety in the past
decade for his fundraising run across the Sahara Desert and a similar
effort to run across America. He's also a motivational speaker. On
Sunday, Engle met supporters in his hometown for a 5K run.

Friends, relatives and fellow marathoners filed around 120 letters of
support with the court. Some letter writers said they hadn't even met
Engle but were inspired by his athletics and motivational speeches.

The judge cited those letters as well, saying he has never received so
many in one case. And it was also the first case the judge said he had
that went viral, with websites and blogs set up to support Engle.

Engle also gave a long speech to the judge, noting that he had been
"foolish enough to think I can change the world." While he did not
address the charges the jury convicted him of, he said at times he
"can be careless."

"I can say with confidence that I can turn negatives into positives,"
he told the judge. "I have no doubt I will make the best of this."

A jury in October found Engle guilty of 12 felonies, finding that he
bilked banks out of $150,000 in an Eastern Shore mortgage fraud
scheme.

Evidence showed that Engle obtained $1.055 million from four loans,
causing $404,000 in alleged losses to the banks after Engle stopped
making payments and the homes in Cape Charles were foreclosed on.

Prosecutors have said that Engle used proceeds from the fraud to fund
his lifestyle around the time of his 4,300-mile run across the Sahara
four years ago. Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph Kosky said Engle needed
money for the 111-day run. The run was documented in "Running the
Sahara," narrated by film star Matt Damon.

Kosky initially pushed for a sentence between four and five years in
prison, citing bank losses of $404,000. But after hearing arguments
Monday, the judge lowered the loss amount to $265,500, which also
lowered the recommended federal guideline sentence from a maximum of
57 months to a maximum of 46 months.

Friedman then went even lower but denied Engle's request for a
sentence of probation.

"He has to be punished for what he did," Friedman said. "I believe he
knew what he was doing was wrong."

Engle argued at trial that he was duped by unscrupulous mortgage
brokers and real estate agents, some of whom he said forged his
signature and made up his inflated income numbers to get the loans.

But Kosky presented undercover tape recordings where Engle is heard
saying of mortgage fraud that "everyone was doing it." Then after
being arrested, Engle told Internal Revenue Service agents that he
knew what he did was part of the nationwide mortgage crisis that led
to the recession. Engle denies ever saying that.

Since his arrest, Engle has been a prolific writer on the Internet, at
his website, 
www.charlieengle.com and on Facebook, where he has just
under 5,000 friends.

"I convince myself that this is just another adventure," he wrote in a
recent blog. "But I wonder if I am delusional. Maybe I am just denying
the catastrophe that my life has become."

The judge also sentenced Engle to 100 hours of community service and
five years of probation and ordered him to repay $265,500 to the
lenders.

Comments

  1. Cynthia Laforty9:19 PM

    I meet this man in Springfield Missouri in 2007. We both ran the"run for the ranch" marathon. We both placed second and he clapped when I got the fast women's award. When I found out that he was the famous Charlie Engle I cherished meeting him just as much as the award...no more thou as I have lost respect and esteem for him. Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break(down)

You have to look closely (click and enlarge photo if needed), but when you do, check out the 5th metacarpal (bone furthest from thumb).

The diagonal break is symbolic of what happens when your mountain bike handlebars snap around 360 degrees, and those bars catch your hand against the bike frame during the rotation.

Well there you have it. I got up after my ride over the bars and knew something was wrong, but didn't want to admit it. Rode about three miles back to the car, then went a week with some ice and heat. Thought it was good, until I smacked the same bone on the bars during a road ride the following weekend.

Time to stop the charades and get to urgent care.

For the past three weeks, I have been in a formed splint that kept the pinkie and ring fingers immobilized in a hooked formation. Don't want those tendons to move across the bone. As the doc stated, it's a "forgiving" break, but nonetheless you don't want to give the bone any excuse to shift; that…

Nothing to see here, folks

It's been a long time since I've been active on my blog. To be honest, I got tired of putting in the work, creating content, with so little feedback or response. Time to divert to other things...such as my new fiction book, coming out soon. Part horror story, part steamy romance. You'll definitely want a copy.

There's another reason I haven't been posting. My endurance spirit is broken.

Some medical issues, some sadness is loss of speed. I don't have much range left in my pulse rate and I have put on a blob of weight.

I "ran" my 10 mile loop this morning...in 2:18. Is that ugly, or what? An overall fatigue follows the run. I remember a few years ago, I'd bang it out in straight 9's for a 1:30 - and at that time had a long section of medium effort trail included, too.

It's the new normal. It's age appropriate. I'll be 59 in two weeks. Let's get real.

Rode my mountain bike Sunday after church. Don't know what I hit but I went…

Fitness setback? Use the healing power of plants

Maybe you're like me. You had achieved a fitness and nutrition peak, but then slid off the mountain. Hey, most of us aren't professional athletes and we aren't paid to be ripped and shredded, right? Life got in the way. I produced my dossier for tenure, then finished several academic publications. And, there is always teaching and a responsilbity to the student experience. I'm not proud of the outcome, but that's how it works for me. When I wrote "Mind Over Diet" the key premise was self-negotiation. You must create your own scenarios that drive action. It's time to start over. My advice is to build your comeback with food, not exercise. Everyone wants to run to the gym and crank the big workouts...how long does that usually last? I'd suggest the food is the ultimate change agent. Eat as close to "alive" as possible; take the processing and chemicals out. Fresh food will bring life back into your body. That's the foundation. Here…