Skip to main content

Life without ultras: A sad outcome, indeed

I have been looking back while gazing forward over the past several days.  Running the Rock Creek Trail in MD, at a slow methodical pace while my mind spins with thoughts about the meaning of life and how we get to the place we call today.

At right is master man circa 1981...rather thick and meaty from fatty eating and beer by the gallon.  I was, at that point, still attempting to race motorcycles, which was hard to do when running somewhere near last at every event.  I didn't have the skill and my mind and body were slushy from over-indulging.

Then came my epiphany, where in 1983 I dumped 45 pounds and found the endurance sport lifestyle. There have been ups and downs, but I can't imagine life without it.  It has formed my mind, my body, my goals.  I view life through the lens of an ultradistance race.  I have gone further than I ever thought possible...to the finish line of 100 mile races, through relationships, and more recently to an academic finish line with the PhD.

Ultras draw me back for more each year, in a way no other event or activity ever has.  I have the Frosty 50K and Terrapin Mountain 50K on the calendar so far this year and there will be quite a few others to come.  And I'm no longer a last place loser.  Ultras let everyone play the game, where we race against ourselves and the terrain.  I found a sport that's truly inclusive; if politics were more like ultras, we might be racing more and spending less.

So that's where I am for 2011 to date.  A glance at the photo above is always good for a hindsight view from then to now...and I like what I see.

Comments

  1. Well I hope you at least kept the pants for racing, those are pretty stylish, maybe a bit Cliftonesque.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it !! Id guess KX 250/350 ENDURO 1980 ?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break(down)

You have to look closely (click and enlarge photo if needed), but when you do, check out the 5th metacarpal (bone furthest from thumb).

The diagonal break is symbolic of what happens when your mountain bike handlebars snap around 360 degrees, and those bars catch your hand against the bike frame during the rotation.

Well there you have it. I got up after my ride over the bars and knew something was wrong, but didn't want to admit it. Rode about three miles back to the car, then went a week with some ice and heat. Thought it was good, until I smacked the same bone on the bars during a road ride the following weekend.

Time to stop the charades and get to urgent care.

For the past three weeks, I have been in a formed splint that kept the pinkie and ring fingers immobilized in a hooked formation. Don't want those tendons to move across the bone. As the doc stated, it's a "forgiving" break, but nonetheless you don't want to give the bone any excuse to shift; that…

Nothing to see here, folks

It's been a long time since I've been active on my blog. To be honest, I got tired of putting in the work, creating content, with so little feedback or response. Time to divert to other things...such as my new fiction book, coming out soon. Part horror story, part steamy romance. You'll definitely want a copy.

There's another reason I haven't been posting. My endurance spirit is broken.

Some medical issues, some sadness is loss of speed. I don't have much range left in my pulse rate and I have put on a blob of weight.

I "ran" my 10 mile loop this morning...in 2:18. Is that ugly, or what? An overall fatigue follows the run. I remember a few years ago, I'd bang it out in straight 9's for a 1:30 - and at that time had a long section of medium effort trail included, too.

It's the new normal. It's age appropriate. I'll be 59 in two weeks. Let's get real.

Rode my mountain bike Sunday after church. Don't know what I hit but I went…

Fitness setback? Use the healing power of plants

Maybe you're like me. You had achieved a fitness and nutrition peak, but then slid off the mountain. Hey, most of us aren't professional athletes and we aren't paid to be ripped and shredded, right? Life got in the way. I produced my dossier for tenure, then finished several academic publications. And, there is always teaching and a responsilbity to the student experience. I'm not proud of the outcome, but that's how it works for me. When I wrote "Mind Over Diet" the key premise was self-negotiation. You must create your own scenarios that drive action. It's time to start over. My advice is to build your comeback with food, not exercise. Everyone wants to run to the gym and crank the big workouts...how long does that usually last? I'd suggest the food is the ultimate change agent. Eat as close to "alive" as possible; take the processing and chemicals out. Fresh food will bring life back into your body. That's the foundation. Here…