Skip to main content

Frosty 50K at Salem Lake

I was lucky to get off the mountain this morning at 5am...heavy snow and wind has moved into our area and driving was touch and go.  But, only 10 miles out, the roads were clear and dry and I was on my way to the 2011 Frosty 50K at Salem Lake Park in Winston-Salem, NC.

This fun, local event is a long-time fixture on the ultra scene and this year's version came in windy with temps in the low 30's.  I went off the back at the start, breaking in a new pair of Brooks Trance, and letting things sort out while I managed another sinus and chest infection.  Coughing seemed minimized so I turned up the wick a bit and went to work on the first leg of this double out and back course.

I made it through the first dirt portion then only the greenway section.  At one low point a stream was running over the path and cold icy feet were the result.  I made it to the first turnaround at 1:15, which allowed me to benchmark the 1/4 point in the race...I was on 5 hour pace.

It's fun to watch competitors come at you on the out and back sections.  The lead runner was way out front, followed by the second place runner in a new 2011 Brooks team outfit (love to see the Brooks runners do business).  The runner in third was wearing micro-split shorts...shoes...and nothing else.  I didn't see him in the second half.  He must have dropped or put some clothes on!

By this point I was flowing easy and made it to the start/turnaround/halfway point in 2:30.  Still holding the 5 hour pace so I took a quick PB&J and went out again.  The miles were coming harder at this point and I was digging by the final section of leg three...but that said I held pace to make the turnaround in 3:45.  From there is was hang on and suffer and head for the finish.

There were a few injured riders walking on the course.  One big fellow, maybe 6'5" was gimping along and when I went by he said "Glory to God."  In 28 years of racing  I never had that exchange before.  But I had no complaints with that, and I'll chime in with a Glory to God, who has allowed old master man to run a good pace.

It was dig and grind the last 30 minutes, as I attempted to hold form and speed.  I knew I was slowing, but it wasn't by much.  I made the turn down the last stretch and popped a 5:01:45.  Now that's pretty consistent over 31 miles.  My time was only 4 minutes off my 50K PR (set at Croom in FL in 2007) and was 10 minutes faster than my 2010 Frosty 50K time.

It was too cold and windy to hang out at the finish, so I bolted for the car, warm clothes and a place to rest.  I'm thankful for every race and when good finishes are part of it, it's frosting on the cake.

It surely was a Glory to God day all the way around.

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great day to be on the trails. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing to see here, folks

It's been a long time since I've been active on my blog. To be honest, I got tired of putting in the work, creating content, with so little feedback or response. Time to divert to other things...such as my new fiction book, coming out soon. Part horror story, part steamy romance. You'll definitely want a copy.

There's another reason I haven't been posting. My endurance spirit is broken.

Some medical issues, some sadness is loss of speed. I don't have much range left in my pulse rate and I have put on a blob of weight.

I "ran" my 10 mile loop this morning...in 2:18. Is that ugly, or what? An overall fatigue follows the run. I remember a few years ago, I'd bang it out in straight 9's for a 1:30 - and at that time had a long section of medium effort trail included, too.

It's the new normal. It's age appropriate. I'll be 59 in two weeks. Let's get real.

Rode my mountain bike Sunday after church. Don't know what I hit but I went…

Break(down)

You have to look closely (click and enlarge photo if needed), but when you do, check out the 5th metacarpal (bone furthest from thumb).

The diagonal break is symbolic of what happens when your mountain bike handlebars snap around 360 degrees, and those bars catch your hand against the bike frame during the rotation.

Well there you have it. I got up after my ride over the bars and knew something was wrong, but didn't want to admit it. Rode about three miles back to the car, then went a week with some ice and heat. Thought it was good, until I smacked the same bone on the bars during a road ride the following weekend.

Time to stop the charades and get to urgent care.

For the past three weeks, I have been in a formed splint that kept the pinkie and ring fingers immobilized in a hooked formation. Don't want those tendons to move across the bone. As the doc stated, it's a "forgiving" break, but nonetheless you don't want to give the bone any excuse to shift; that…

Fitness setback? Use the healing power of plants

Maybe you're like me. You had achieved a fitness and nutrition peak, but then slid off the mountain. Hey, most of us aren't professional athletes and we aren't paid to be ripped and shredded, right? Life got in the way. I produced my dossier for tenure, then finished several academic publications. And, there is always teaching and a responsilbity to the student experience. I'm not proud of the outcome, but that's how it works for me. When I wrote "Mind Over Diet" the key premise was self-negotiation. You must create your own scenarios that drive action. It's time to start over. My advice is to build your comeback with food, not exercise. Everyone wants to run to the gym and crank the big workouts...how long does that usually last? I'd suggest the food is the ultimate change agent. Eat as close to "alive" as possible; take the processing and chemicals out. Fresh food will bring life back into your body. That's the foundation. Here…