Skip to main content

Trail Runner mag and breaking the rules

I haven't given proper recognition to one of the most motivating reads in our industry, and it's time I do:  Here's a shout out to Trail Runner magazine, one of the best "get me amped" publications on the market.

Trail Runner touts great graphic design and inspiring images, as the November 2011 cover (at right) can attest.  If you're into destination pieces, apparel and gear, fitness tips and great feature columns, it's for you.

The November issue features a recent controversy.  The USATF (USA Track & Field) National Trail Championship was held in Bend, Oregon back in September.  Shortly past 25 miles, a course volunteer sent race leader Erik Skaggs and those behind him down the wrong trail.  After the lead group realized the error, they made their way back on course and had the maturity to re-order themselves before crossing the finish line!

You may argue about this maneuver, but let's take is a step further:  A master's racer on the course also got lost and insisted that he receive what would have been his projected finishing time, had he not been lost!  The point became moot, as this same competitor was nixed from his USATF title because he was wearing headphones, which are outlawed in USATF competitions.  The runner argued he was not aware of the stipulation.

I need to refer to my earlier post regarding the Pinhotti 100, where the runner featured in that podcast refused to leave the course.  He had missed cut-off times but debated that sweepers had not yet caught up to him.  Are rules made to be debated, or enforced without exception?

My take is that each and every time, we should respect the promoter and abide by his/her rules.  It's our responsibility to read event materials and attend pre-race meetings, so that ignorance isn't an excuse.  I really don't like running without headphones, but when a race outlaws them, I can either stay home, or come to race without them.  And if the day comes I'm asked to leave a course, I will do it. Promoters are facing liability and insurance issues and if we don't cooperate, they may be out of business.

Maybe I'm a conformist, but if racers won't defer to a promoter's authority, there is no authority.  So in addition to Trail Runner, here's another shout out on the day...to all those race promoters who work hard to give us a place to play.

Comments

  1. I think it's important to listen to the RD, but in the case of the Pinhoti runner, maybe just technically disqualify him, but let him continue? Not sure if that would remove liability from the organizers though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing to see here, folks

It's been a long time since I've been active on my blog. To be honest, I got tired of putting in the work, creating content, with so little feedback or response. Time to divert to other things...such as my new fiction book, coming out soon. Part horror story, part steamy romance. You'll definitely want a copy.

There's another reason I haven't been posting. My endurance spirit is broken.

Some medical issues, some sadness is loss of speed. I don't have much range left in my pulse rate and I have put on a blob of weight.

I "ran" my 10 mile loop this morning...in 2:18. Is that ugly, or what? An overall fatigue follows the run. I remember a few years ago, I'd bang it out in straight 9's for a 1:30 - and at that time had a long section of medium effort trail included, too.

It's the new normal. It's age appropriate. I'll be 59 in two weeks. Let's get real.

Rode my mountain bike Sunday after church. Don't know what I hit but I went…

Break(down)

You have to look closely (click and enlarge photo if needed), but when you do, check out the 5th metacarpal (bone furthest from thumb).

The diagonal break is symbolic of what happens when your mountain bike handlebars snap around 360 degrees, and those bars catch your hand against the bike frame during the rotation.

Well there you have it. I got up after my ride over the bars and knew something was wrong, but didn't want to admit it. Rode about three miles back to the car, then went a week with some ice and heat. Thought it was good, until I smacked the same bone on the bars during a road ride the following weekend.

Time to stop the charades and get to urgent care.

For the past three weeks, I have been in a formed splint that kept the pinkie and ring fingers immobilized in a hooked formation. Don't want those tendons to move across the bone. As the doc stated, it's a "forgiving" break, but nonetheless you don't want to give the bone any excuse to shift; that…

Fitness setback? Use the healing power of plants

Maybe you're like me. You had achieved a fitness and nutrition peak, but then slid off the mountain. Hey, most of us aren't professional athletes and we aren't paid to be ripped and shredded, right? Life got in the way. I produced my dossier for tenure, then finished several academic publications. And, there is always teaching and a responsilbity to the student experience. I'm not proud of the outcome, but that's how it works for me. When I wrote "Mind Over Diet" the key premise was self-negotiation. You must create your own scenarios that drive action. It's time to start over. My advice is to build your comeback with food, not exercise. Everyone wants to run to the gym and crank the big workouts...how long does that usually last? I'd suggest the food is the ultimate change agent. Eat as close to "alive" as possible; take the processing and chemicals out. Fresh food will bring life back into your body. That's the foundation. Here…