Saturday, December 18, 2010

Five Guys: Healthy food for the active individual

Sometimes it's best to eat well.  And at other times, I satiate the body, mind and soul.

Today was one of those days.  Saw a great news format TV show on CNBC that highlighted the hottest franchises in the USA.  One of the front runners was Five Guys, a new burger and fries place that is getting rave reviews. So for my birthday treat, we tried the Five Guys in Bethesda, Maryland.  Ordered a veggie sandwich and two orders of regular (smallest option) fries.

Here they are in all their glory:  Thick cut Idaho potato fries, deep fried in peanut oil.  If you look hard, you'll see two small cups in that bag, but the service staff at Five Guys doesn't stop there. They load the bag with fries until grease seeps through the paper...hot and crispy and ready to dip in our ketchup cups.

There's plenty to criticize here.  Enough fat to stop up my veins, a week's worth of calories, and portions that were more fit for a platoon, not two people.  But let's get past that for now.  Yummy yum yum.  Good eatin' for master man's 54th celebration.

We barely put a dent in this grab bag of delight, so I packed it up for home and had a second serving later in the evening...rolled 'em out on a pizza tray, with a bit of time under the broiler they were ready for treat time #2.

That's my report on this birthday feast.  But as always, I looked for an event to remember and Five Guys will be my point of reference for 2010.

1 comment:

  1. Why Happy Birthday Tommy Boy. Fifty-four is a ways on down the rode. As Will Geer told Redford in Jeramiah Johnson, "you done good pilgrim". I'm going to finish up my 59th and hit 60 next year. In trying to understand this year and my collection of maladies I was informed that growing old is not for sissies, she was a thirty-seven year old chemo patient. Ride the highs for every second of each moment. Great to hear and see you Tom. Peace.

    ReplyDelete