Tuesday, October 26, 2010

It costs how much?

OK, I'm not ever going to tell you this new Specialized S-Works 29er all carbon, full suspension mountain bike isn't cool.

It is and I'm lusting to ride one.

However, I never will.  It's $9400.

Is is just me, or are bikes getting a bit pricey?  I wonder what marketing mojo drives this price point.  Maybe it's the almost unobtainable, where most mortals can't go?

Of interesting note is the drive train.  The top line mountain bikes are now going to a double chainring cross country setup.  No more triples...good riders never spin a small gear anyway, right?

Here's the link http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52792&scid=1000&scname=Mountain  so check it out and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about the prices the other day, reading Bicycling Mag, where one article detailed the difficulty readers will have in opting for the $10,000 aero bike vs the $10,000 ultralight bike. What to do? The prices are driven, I think, by the fact that nowadays, a mid-life crisis is more likely to involve a triathlon or such, and those middle-agers tend to be well-off and are willing to pay big bucks for their branded gear and races. Bummer for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete