Monday, October 04, 2010

Culpeper Cycling Century

Here's old master blaster himself geared up and ready for the Culpeper (VA) Cycling Century this past Saturday. Please hold the comments on my flamboyant apparel...I'm a notorious under-dresser but on this day the gorgeous fall weather brought out the dapper side of me.

The ride was well produced, a fundraiser for the local Parks and Recreation Department.  Course arrows were abundant and rest stops were plentiful and well crewed.  The 65 route was actually 68 and change, but all around fun rolling hills in a picturesque countryside.

Now for the bad news.  The riders I encountered were unfriendly.  Many of my "good mornings" went unanswered.  One guy ignored me, then berated the crew at the next rest stop for poor course markings.  He had missed the 100 mile loop turnoff...guess he missed the large six foot sign and multiple turn arrows and decided to blame his issues on the organizers.  That didn't sit well with me so I talked to a rest stop leader and told her the course was A-#1 on markings.  I know she appreciated it.

I also noted a race like pace...I went out at 19 and got dropped like a hot rock.  This was a non-chip-timed event so what happened to the hospitality?  Maybe it's the technology and the state of our society, but a lot of fun has gone out of touring.  Let's keep that in mind when we interact with others and let's bring back the chit chat days of the 80's and 90's.

Mentioned a while back my commuter bike was ripped off a couple of years ago in Gainesville.  I have a civil lien against the perp, but of course have never seen the $430 he owes me for items he stripped off my bike (I got the bike back later but it was trashed).  Talked to the probation officer, perp drug tested out of probation and is back in the slammer.  He'll be in for about a year before any sort of action might be taken regarding restitution.  "Victim's rights" is really a misnomer, as my rights have been trampled on for many months.  In our current system, the criminal wins.

Rode this morning in Boone, was 39 degrees out so I pulled out the tights, jacket and head warmer for inside helmet.  Dressed just right, rewarding to feel the invigorating air while toasty against the skin.  My left side IT thing is still there, so I'll take this week off of running before heading to the New River 50K on Saturday.  Hope to get a finish there, it's race by race at this time in life.

Enjoy and embrace this season of the year.  God gave us each and every part of our climate so let's interpret what He's telling us while we ride and run.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe he'll make some money manufacturing license plates whil ein jail and will have some money to compensate you when he gets out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,

    Nice post. I went on a group ride last Thursday and everyone was as nice as could be. It was brutally windy with 30 mph gusts. Still averaged 16.8 mph and spent a good share giving others a tow. I still prefer mountain biking, but nothing like the road to get you in shape.

    ReplyDelete