Skip to main content

Whey world

Stopped in to Vitamin World at the outlet mall last week.  Ever been to a chain store and have non-fit store employees try to tell you how to use product?  These were nice guys and I was respectful, but I don't buy it.  I don't understand them, they don't understand me.  I have been a vegetarian for about 10 years and am now close to vegan, so I was looking for a good deal on soy protein. One wall was covered in whey product, but when I asked about plant options, the guy walks me over to one dusty shelf at floor level, with a few lame and high priced selections.  My research side tells me that org might want to see what proportion of customers would choose a non-dairy protein source; it might be greater than the 1% of store space they allocate for that option.

All that said I bought a bottle of Ultra Sport vitamins.  Ninety in a bottle, premium price at about $18.  Once home, I learned they over-packaged the product to make it look larger; the bottle was less that 1/4 full!  I called the Vitamin World 800# and made a complaint.  Last time for that purchase.

Lots of chatter in the podcast world regarding the recent running of the Leadville 100 in Colorado.  It was reported that Chris McDougall, author of the wildly popular book "Born to Run" was on the race course with actor Jake Gyllenhaal.  Some rumors exist that the two are planning on a movie version of the book, which brought ultrarunning and barefoot running to the masses.  If this goes down, it should be interesting...and let's hope they don't muck up the authenticity, as has been the case in some other sport movies.

Had my fingers hovering over the keyboard yesterday at 11:55 am. The Active.com site for entries into the Umstead 100 mile went hot at noon and the event usually fills in 15 minutes.  I thought long and hard but opted out for 2011.  It's a great race with great promoters and volunteers, but I get negative vibes from contemplating another 8 loops on that 12.5 mile course.  I'm toying with the idea of taking a shot at the Grindstone 100 next October.  It's held in Virginia and is said to be the hardest 100 miler in the east. An interesting twist is that the event starts at 6 pm, so you run into the night early in the event.

Put some new high performance brake pads on my road bike - we're having the Valle Crucis ride and group picnic tonight.  Also procured replacement pads for my Avid BB5 brakes on the 29er, so I'll slide those into place soon.

Well, that's all I know for now.  Post some comments and we'll discuss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing to see here, folks

It's been a long time since I've been active on my blog. To be honest, I got tired of putting in the work, creating content, with so little feedback or response. Time to divert to other things...such as my new fiction book, coming out soon. Part horror story, part steamy romance. You'll definitely want a copy.

There's another reason I haven't been posting. My endurance spirit is broken.

Some medical issues, some sadness is loss of speed. I don't have much range left in my pulse rate and I have put on a blob of weight.

I "ran" my 10 mile loop this morning...in 2:18. Is that ugly, or what? An overall fatigue follows the run. I remember a few years ago, I'd bang it out in straight 9's for a 1:30 - and at that time had a long section of medium effort trail included, too.

It's the new normal. It's age appropriate. I'll be 59 in two weeks. Let's get real.

Rode my mountain bike Sunday after church. Don't know what I hit but I went…

Break(down)

You have to look closely (click and enlarge photo if needed), but when you do, check out the 5th metacarpal (bone furthest from thumb).

The diagonal break is symbolic of what happens when your mountain bike handlebars snap around 360 degrees, and those bars catch your hand against the bike frame during the rotation.

Well there you have it. I got up after my ride over the bars and knew something was wrong, but didn't want to admit it. Rode about three miles back to the car, then went a week with some ice and heat. Thought it was good, until I smacked the same bone on the bars during a road ride the following weekend.

Time to stop the charades and get to urgent care.

For the past three weeks, I have been in a formed splint that kept the pinkie and ring fingers immobilized in a hooked formation. Don't want those tendons to move across the bone. As the doc stated, it's a "forgiving" break, but nonetheless you don't want to give the bone any excuse to shift; that…

Fitness setback? Use the healing power of plants

Maybe you're like me. You had achieved a fitness and nutrition peak, but then slid off the mountain. Hey, most of us aren't professional athletes and we aren't paid to be ripped and shredded, right? Life got in the way. I produced my dossier for tenure, then finished several academic publications. And, there is always teaching and a responsilbity to the student experience. I'm not proud of the outcome, but that's how it works for me. When I wrote "Mind Over Diet" the key premise was self-negotiation. You must create your own scenarios that drive action. It's time to start over. My advice is to build your comeback with food, not exercise. Everyone wants to run to the gym and crank the big workouts...how long does that usually last? I'd suggest the food is the ultimate change agent. Eat as close to "alive" as possible; take the processing and chemicals out. Fresh food will bring life back into your body. That's the foundation. Here…