Skip to main content

Stuff in my head

I have a several things I want to report rattling around in my brain; finally committed them to paper this morning following my fitness bike extravaganza.  So here they are, in no specific order or magnitude:

My brother is aware I have an arthritic condition in my right thumb joint, which makes bicycle shifting not only difficult but a pain in the butt.  He offered a novel suggestion, that of switching the front chainring shifter to the right, and rear cluster shifter to the left.  Not a bad concept, but it did get me thinking about my dilemma.  For a quick fix, I re-adjusted my right side shifter and jacked the position way up, so that the shifter trigger is above the grip.  Now, I can push down with my palm to move the lever instead of activating the painful thumb joint.  Hey, old guys aren't only tough and good looking, they're innovative!

Was listening to Trail Slammer's latest podcast today.  He got 'er done and finished four of the major 100 mile races this past summer.  Slammer was stating that in his ultra world, the 100 milers are truly validating, not so much the 50K's and 50 milers. He used a quote from Karl Meltzer, the multi-time Hardrock 100 winner: "A 100-miler isn't 50 miles x 2," said Meltzer. "It's more like 50 miles x 3."  Anyone who has ventured out into the second half of a 100-miler knows that Karl is spot on.  Making the 100 mile finish line is epic and for me at this stage of life, hard to reproduce.  I spoke on this topic in an email to Dirt Dawg and my comments were featured on his latest podcast.  Always love a shout out for master competitor and my blog!

Wanted to report something my doctor told me last week, when I was in his office dealing with this pulled something-or-other in my side.  We discussed ice or heat and he told me ice is good for the first 1-2 days after a chronic injury, then heat.  But here's the new twist for me.  It's not as much about ice or heat, as it is about ice on/ice off or heat on/heat off.  It's about making the blood vessels contract or expand, then go back to normal...that's what accelerates the healing.  So if you're nursing past an injury, remember to do the on/off tactics to supercharge that healing process!

Here's a new modification to one of my favorite desserts.  I used to make this as a frozen pie, but who needs that stinkin' graham cracker crust and all those empty calories?

1) Combine one container of fat free Cool Whip and three (3) low fat get skinny yogurts in a bowl (used to be 2 yogurts but they downsized the containers).

2) Stir until well combined, should be a creamy yet liquid mass.

3) Pour into ice cube trays and freeze

Yummy yum yum!  I like this stuff better than ice cream and it is much better for the fabulous body I have created.  Of course, your choice of flavor in yogurt dictates the type of dessert you want to make.  So if key lime pie is your thing, you know where to go with this.

I'm headed to the Salem Lake 30K this Saturday to see if I can shake out this injury. Stayed tuned for updates.

Comments

  1. Good luck with the race Saturday. For the ice, I've also read that moving the ice while on also speeds up the efficacy. Sounds like a good dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:28 AM

    I've got the same left thumb going.Old MX or MTB injury? Who knows...
    Second the thumbs up on the desert. Going to try it tonight.
    Thanks, JB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break(down)

You have to look closely (click and enlarge photo if needed), but when you do, check out the 5th metacarpal (bone furthest from thumb).

The diagonal break is symbolic of what happens when your mountain bike handlebars snap around 360 degrees, and those bars catch your hand against the bike frame during the rotation.

Well there you have it. I got up after my ride over the bars and knew something was wrong, but didn't want to admit it. Rode about three miles back to the car, then went a week with some ice and heat. Thought it was good, until I smacked the same bone on the bars during a road ride the following weekend.

Time to stop the charades and get to urgent care.

For the past three weeks, I have been in a formed splint that kept the pinkie and ring fingers immobilized in a hooked formation. Don't want those tendons to move across the bone. As the doc stated, it's a "forgiving" break, but nonetheless you don't want to give the bone any excuse to shift; that…

Nothing to see here, folks

It's been a long time since I've been active on my blog. To be honest, I got tired of putting in the work, creating content, with so little feedback or response. Time to divert to other things...such as my new fiction book, coming out soon. Part horror story, part steamy romance. You'll definitely want a copy.

There's another reason I haven't been posting. My endurance spirit is broken.

Some medical issues, some sadness is loss of speed. I don't have much range left in my pulse rate and I have put on a blob of weight.

I "ran" my 10 mile loop this morning...in 2:18. Is that ugly, or what? An overall fatigue follows the run. I remember a few years ago, I'd bang it out in straight 9's for a 1:30 - and at that time had a long section of medium effort trail included, too.

It's the new normal. It's age appropriate. I'll be 59 in two weeks. Let's get real.

Rode my mountain bike Sunday after church. Don't know what I hit but I went…

Fitness setback? Use the healing power of plants

Maybe you're like me. You had achieved a fitness and nutrition peak, but then slid off the mountain. Hey, most of us aren't professional athletes and we aren't paid to be ripped and shredded, right? Life got in the way. I produced my dossier for tenure, then finished several academic publications. And, there is always teaching and a responsilbity to the student experience. I'm not proud of the outcome, but that's how it works for me. When I wrote "Mind Over Diet" the key premise was self-negotiation. You must create your own scenarios that drive action. It's time to start over. My advice is to build your comeback with food, not exercise. Everyone wants to run to the gym and crank the big workouts...how long does that usually last? I'd suggest the food is the ultimate change agent. Eat as close to "alive" as possible; take the processing and chemicals out. Fresh food will bring life back into your body. That's the foundation. Here…