Friday, August 13, 2010

Trail "running"

Went to the Great Falls, MD wilderness area off the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal area.  The towpath walking was fun, checking out the locks and seeing the water elevation rise and fall, through rather primitive technology.  The C&O is 184.5 miles long, contains 75 locks, and was completed in 1850.

We opted for a "short" hike on one of the trails off the towpath, the Billy Goat Trails section A. This little gem was only 1.7 miles in length, and we were told it was treacherous footing.  Big ego master competitor though ya sure, I'll skip and run through how bad can it be?

It was bad, at least for my skill set, and put me in an environment where performance meant sliding my butt down rock outcroppings, then scrambling up the next climb.  It was well over two hours before we hooked back onto the towpath for a two mile walk back to the Great Falls Tavern Visitors Center.  I did a ten mile walk/run this morning and it was a more than full day.

I was tired and a bit cranky when we got back to the car, and really didn't need attitude from an aggressive duck who tried to get part of my lunch.  Just wasn't the right time for sharing and compassion.

So I'm glad to be home, my feet ache, and it's time for a big plate of stir fry.  Good to see great sites so near to the metro DC area.  I'm packing the adventures in and the container is ready to burst.  Hope this old body of mine can hold the wide open pace until I get a winter reprieve!

No comments:

Post a Comment