Monday, August 09, 2010

Retro man

Does anyone remember these old clunkers?  I found this image on http://www.retrobike.co.uk...a cool site to peruse sometime.

They're some of the original Shimano SPD pedals and they're now doing the job on my 29er.

I'm an old pack rat who doesn't throw too many things away.  I take good care of my equipment and it lasts forever, so I store old bike parts in a plastic bin I now keep in my guest bedroom.  I mentioned in a post that I was having trouble clipping on my mountain bike, so had reverted to old school pedals and toe clips. Couldn't stand to be seen as the dork that I am, so wanted to find a way to get back to the SPD world without fear of not being able to twist out when needed.

I dragged these old soldiers out of the bin.  Can remember buying then in the early 90's, along with a pair of clunky Shimano shoes with ample neon purple on them.  Those are long gone but the pedals remained.  Now, I noted the sturdy platforms built into the clips, so I screwed 'em on.  Dialed back all the tension on the springs, so the pedals are serving more as guides to the shoe cleats than actually locking them in.

Dragged out my circa 1993 Scott bright yellow mountain bike shoes (yup, kept them too) and headed out to Kerr Scott Dam yesterday.  All good all the time.  Lots of trees down from our big storm last Thursday so there was ample on and off the bike.  The Scott/Shimano combo snapped in easy but was never really locked...so I'm back in SPD's and feel confident about it too.

Added the Shiner's Gap section twice so attained 17 miles total, about 2:40 riding time including my break at the turnaround.  All good for master competitor, just an easy pace that's I'll entitle woods touring.  It remains a solid workout with the uphill climbs and I enjoy the diversity in my training.

Lost my front brake during the outing, so now I'm learning about Avid BB5 calipers and how to adjust and replace pads.  Never stop learning, always more to do.

Met a new friend in town, Alfredo, who is vacationing from Miami.  Took him on my greenway loop and trails this morning.  Very interesting individual, PhD economics and background with World Bank and investment banking in South America.

I'm off to DC this afternoon, so stay tuned for reports from the Rock Creek trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment