Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Jumbled up stuff

My head is full of things I need to tell master competitor readers, so here comes a brain dump:

I carry a tenseness in my body when running.  There is a need to feel loose, letting each foot easily drop to the ground.  Staying tense sucks a bunch of energy out of your body and it has nothing to do with forward motion.  Recognize it, modify it, alleviate it.

Never did receive the photo from Saturday's Blowing Rock charity foundation ride. Fun group of about 12 people, a nice ride southwest on 221, then back on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Drizzle turned to rain and we got drenched the last few miles. That's the mountain bike life.  Nice feed afterwards at the country club but a) I don't eat meat and that all they had and b) I was wet and had a chill and needed to blast the heat in my car.

Went on the Bistro Roca ride Monday night.  About 5 miles out hit something, then flatted - with my new flat proof Serfas Seca tires!  The group left me; this is no Howdy Doody ride and unless you're hurt, they roll. I fixed the flat and returned to the start.  Now I'm a victim of illogical reasoning...two rides with the Bistro group, two flats = jinx with that ride!

You have to listen to this - one of the best commentary ever on the current doping scandal with Lance and other professional sport.  From Endurance Planet: http://www.enduranceplanet.com/the-endurance-planet-hour-26.  Harvard sports doctor Gabe Merkin doesn't pull any punches...great stuff!

Here's another controversial topic:  Julie Dibens led the Boulder 70.3 triathlon start to finish, then lingered almost five minutes prior to crossing the line.  Why? The world sanctioning organization for triathlon has a rule top athletes must cross the finish line within 8% of the winner to claim prize money.  Julie let the gap close so that racers 2-5 got paid.  Good judgement or not?  Listen to this story at http://www.enduranceplanet.com/the-week-in-multisport-21.

I couldn't let this one pass:  The personal account from Gordy Ainsleigh, the man who ran the first 100 mile footrace at the Western States 100.  http://www.enduranceplanet.com/marathon-and-beyond-monday-inventing-100-mile-trail-racing.

I'm trying to bring things together headed into the winter season.  I love spin classes and yoga, but nothing with truly replace my wonderful (outdoor) mountain endurance experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment