Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Rocket "Fuel"

I'm a value shopper, aka penny pincher.  My frequent awards program at Big Lots alerted me to a 20% off sale last Sunday, so I went down ready to stock up on every good deal in the store.

Picked up two boxes of Wheaties "Fuel" for a buck a box.  Little tiny boxes I might add, but still a buck. This super energy food is backed by a cadre of top athletes in various sports and also boasts a sexy web site.  Here's the bottom line, this stuff is a candy bar in a box.  It triggered my sugar addiction and I couldn't stop jamming this stuff into my pie hole.

So, I Googled around a bit, and found this on http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/2010/01/19/wheaties-fuel-wheaties-with-more-sugar/:


"Regular Wheaties is a pretty simple cereal with only five ingredients: Whole grain wheat, sugar, salt, corn syrup and trisodium phosphate. One serving (3/4 cup) has 100 calories, .5 grams of fat, 4 grams of sugar, 15 grams of other carbs, 3 grams of fiber and 3 grams of protein, along with some added vitamins.  Wheaties Fuel, in contrast, loads up on the sugar, with some added fat.
One serving of Wheaties Fuel (1 cup, which is more than the serving size on the regular Wheaties nutritional panel) has 210 calories, 3 grams of fat, 14 grams of sugar, 26 grams of other carbs, 5 grams of fiber and 3 grams of protein along with more added vitamins than the regular cereal. It also has a lot more ingredients: Whole grain wheat, rice flour, sugar, whole grain oats, corn bran, honey, canola oil, maltodextrin, wheat bran, brown sugar syrup, corn starch, salt, corn syrup, cinnamon, barley malt syrup, barley malt extract, color add, guar gum, cellulose gum, soy lecithin, artificial flavor, baking soda, trisodium phosphate, corn oil and vitamin E."
So in this case, maybe less is more.  Or maybe none is better. I still have a box in the cabinet, maybe I'll save it for trail food on my next mountain hike.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tom, Its Meghan! Hope you're doing great. I saw these running shoes (actually my brother got them) and wondered if you'd heard of them?
    http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/NIK607/

    Anyways, kind of an interesting concept :)

    ReplyDelete