Saturday, July 31, 2010

Rainy day

Drove about 20 miles to Todd for a leisure ride along the river.  Rain came and never stopped.  Tried to wait it out but no go today.  One other guy was waiting, guy named Donnie who told me he was trying to get back into riding after a woman came out of a parking lot and ran him over in Georgia.  Nine pins in his collarbone and four broken ribs. Ouch.

Went to the gym, and set the elliptical to my usual 12 setting.  Felt like the thing was free spinning, legs are stronger that in the spring and it shows.  But, jumped from 30 minutes there to the rowing machine, set on 8 of 10 setting for the 5000 meter workout. Guess I lost my Popeye arms since spring because the upper body was sucking wind...don't have the torque up there that I used to. Went to the compensated chin up machine and same thing, arms don't have the juice they used to.

I invented a new formula:

Master competitor lifestyle ≥ momentum generated in aerobic activity.

Here's how it works - the more I can keep things at a high rev they better I perceive everything around me and the better things fit together.  I am on such a high this summer from non stop running and cycling.  When rain could have shut the machine down, I made it to the gym, actually enjoyed it, and carried momentum into tomorrow, when weather permitting I'll be at Kerr Scott Dam for a mountain bike grind.  As long as I can keep the balls in the air I can live the MC life.  If I get breaks in my training, it'll all come down like a house of cards, and I know it.

Saw a couple of interesting items in the August issue of Bicycling:

  1. Wrap your handle tape from the bar end and work towards the center (I knew that).  Wrap it clockwise on the right side and counterclockwise on the left side (I didn't know that).  It assures the direction of the tape doesn't work against your hands, which push forward.
  2. A reader wrote in to report that he tried a group ride, where everyone confessed they were going to ride casually, or were in recovery mode.  But in reality, the pace got fast and the rider was dropped.  Bicycling's "Best Advice" editors suggested that "cyclists lie about their fitness and whenever you hear that crap, be ready for a painfest."  How true and how wonderful.  Whether it's a crew of A class hammerheads or a cluster of old farts on a Saturday morning, the BS meter will always be pegged regarding how hard everyone plans to ride.  Nothing better than settling into the discomfort of a climb, especially when you're coming around some blabbermouth who claimed he was going to "spin it out" but then pounds off the front.  
Suffering has never meant so much or been so rewarding.  Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment