Skip to main content

Purge the jersey


Lance's Radio Shack team and Tour de France organizers had some friction on the last day of the epic event.  Lance wanted his team to run black jerseys with "28" emblazoned on them, to pay tribute to the 28 million individuals worldwide who are fighting a battle with cancer.

The team started the day in the jerseys, but was stopped and threatened with a disqualification for donning unauthorized apparel.Story link at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/lancearmstrong/7909137/Tour-de-France-2010-Lance-Armstrong-ordered-to-remove-Livestrong-jersey.html.

As a former director of professional competition for the American Motorcyclist Association, I can understand this dilemma.  The cause is noble, but event management is afraid of setting precedent that might influence and affect future issues with race wear.

What's your take on this conflict?  Let Lance run the special jersey?  Or did the tour maintain authority by demanding the apparel change?

I feel like a dimwit.  Took my 29er to the Kerr Scott Dam riding area and had a solid day, making the Overmountain Victory Trail out and back (6 miles each way).  Even added the Shiner's Run loop for an extra 2.5 miles.  Trouble came when my 29er  beat me to death; I was blaming the equipment for poor handling and suspension, until I realized I had the fork partially locked out.  Hard to let the fork work when it's in rigid setting.

Did well with the toe clips.  Took all the pressure off not being "clipped in" and I could ride more fluidly and with more momentum.  So the engine is pretty good and I'm comfortable with 14.5 miles of trail, but I need to get the bike right.  Suspension off the front and some creaking in the bottom bracket.  All part of the sport, all part of being able to say that at 53, I can still get 'er done.

While riding today, was thinking about my mother.  For many years, she enjoyed her bicycle and would tally the number of rides each season.  But two years ago, at 81, she made the decision to park the bike.  I know that decision took a little piece out of her.  It's the feeling of being a little kid with the wind in your hair (helmet?) no matter what one's age.

So for now, mountain biking is still in my tool kit.  I enjoy and embrace it.  Someday it will be time to park the knobbies, and that will be a sad day indeed.

Comments

  1. I say let them wear the special jersey. If you must fine the team, then go ahead -- but a threat of disqualification?? Too harsh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing to see here, folks

It's been a long time since I've been active on my blog. To be honest, I got tired of putting in the work, creating content, with so little feedback or response. Time to divert to other things...such as my new fiction book, coming out soon. Part horror story, part steamy romance. You'll definitely want a copy.

There's another reason I haven't been posting. My endurance spirit is broken.

Some medical issues, some sadness is loss of speed. I don't have much range left in my pulse rate and I have put on a blob of weight.

I "ran" my 10 mile loop this morning...in 2:18. Is that ugly, or what? An overall fatigue follows the run. I remember a few years ago, I'd bang it out in straight 9's for a 1:30 - and at that time had a long section of medium effort trail included, too.

It's the new normal. It's age appropriate. I'll be 59 in two weeks. Let's get real.

Rode my mountain bike Sunday after church. Don't know what I hit but I went…

Break(down)

You have to look closely (click and enlarge photo if needed), but when you do, check out the 5th metacarpal (bone furthest from thumb).

The diagonal break is symbolic of what happens when your mountain bike handlebars snap around 360 degrees, and those bars catch your hand against the bike frame during the rotation.

Well there you have it. I got up after my ride over the bars and knew something was wrong, but didn't want to admit it. Rode about three miles back to the car, then went a week with some ice and heat. Thought it was good, until I smacked the same bone on the bars during a road ride the following weekend.

Time to stop the charades and get to urgent care.

For the past three weeks, I have been in a formed splint that kept the pinkie and ring fingers immobilized in a hooked formation. Don't want those tendons to move across the bone. As the doc stated, it's a "forgiving" break, but nonetheless you don't want to give the bone any excuse to shift; that…

Fitness setback? Use the healing power of plants

Maybe you're like me. You had achieved a fitness and nutrition peak, but then slid off the mountain. Hey, most of us aren't professional athletes and we aren't paid to be ripped and shredded, right? Life got in the way. I produced my dossier for tenure, then finished several academic publications. And, there is always teaching and a responsilbity to the student experience. I'm not proud of the outcome, but that's how it works for me. When I wrote "Mind Over Diet" the key premise was self-negotiation. You must create your own scenarios that drive action. It's time to start over. My advice is to build your comeback with food, not exercise. Everyone wants to run to the gym and crank the big workouts...how long does that usually last? I'd suggest the food is the ultimate change agent. Eat as close to "alive" as possible; take the processing and chemicals out. Fresh food will bring life back into your body. That's the foundation. Here…