Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Catchin' up

In complete opposition to my doctoral research training, I often have spontaneous random thoughts while running. So in no specific order, here they come:
  • Looking at events for the fall...there's the Valle Crucis Marathon (NC) on 9/18, the Stump Jump 50K (TN) on 10/2, the New River Trail 50K (VA) on 10/9 and the Cumberland Trail 50K (TN) on 10/16. Can master competitor go 4 for 4?
  • Anyone into that PX 90 DVD workout, or its latest replicant "Insanity?" Guess I'd rather be outside sucking clean air than flogging myself in front of TV set this time of year.
  • Like hummus? I made my own fresh stuff this week. Get two cans of store brand garbanzo beans, a can of sesame Tahini (in peanut butter section), some lemon juice and olive oil. I blended mine on pulse setting in my blender. Drain and add the garbanzos, add about 1/3 of the Tahiti, and then set the viscosity using the olive oil and lemon juice. Yum. I flavor mine with organic hot sauce and eat with raw vegetables. Made quite a nice size tub of the stuff and I have about $3 into it, much cheaper that store bought hummus. Try some.
  • Here's a couple of podcasts I have been listening to - http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/category/podcast/ is high tech stuff, Q&A on nutrition and triathlon training. http://www.parkedthoughts.com/blog/ will get you to the "running with the pack" podcast, which is sort of endurance sport light - stuff like hitting the wall in a 5K. Both good fun and a good listen while jogging.
  • Who's been following the tour? How about Lance and the crashfest that put him out of contention? What's going to happen with the federal investigation into doping when he returns home from from the tour?
  • I'm into a new (almost) no processed food diet. Lots of steamed grains and vegetables. No breads or pasta and low sugar. I'm back into my assortment of casual shorts so that's a good indication I'm on the right track. A big motivation for the change was the book "Overcoming Overeating." Here's a link to the 2008 edition - http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0738211176/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279038864&sr=1-1&condition=used. You can pick up a used copy. It's about changing from mouth feeding to demand feeding. Intriguing.
  • I'd like to do more Q&A on this blog...more about you and less about me. So send some questions in the comments section. Let's interact.

1 comment:

  1. Robert Watson8:04 PM

    Tom,

    Thanks for the link to Hirschmann's book. Over-eating and emotional eating are my two biggest weaknesses with regard to weight. When I replace that love-affair with something else (usually the desire to get faster on the MX track), that's when I lose weight. Otherwise, I'm dead meat. I'll give the book a try. Who knows? Maybe it will help.

    Best regards,
    Robert Watson

    ReplyDelete