Saturday, May 08, 2010

Watch your footing

I like to keep up with recent happenings on the ultra scene by using Google News alert RSS feeds for "ultrarunning" and "ultramarathon" onto my Yahoo! home page.

Picked up an interesting read this morning about the Zane Grey 50 mile in Arizona. The event offers tough terrain and in this instance, it bit one of ultrarunning's greatest athletes - Carl Meltzer. The report indicates Carl fell backward when hit by a tree branch. The subsequent fall broke his arm. You can read the entire report at:


The though on the day for master competitors is to watch your footing and choose wisely when selecting events. My balance isn't what it used to be and the tricky descents take much more time than decades ago. Two falls at the Icy 8 made me revisit the fact that we need to use caution on technical sections of the race course.

I entered the Rattlesnake Trail 50K in West Virginia in July. It's a tough cookie. I don't want to succumb to the same fate as Carl, so I will need to stay alert.

Well, enough of the dark side for this Saturday morning. It's misty here but time for a 10 mile run. I'll be back soon.

1 comment:

  1. Lol...even Rob Apple managed to finish unscathed!

    ReplyDelete