Friday, May 21, 2010

Mind over meltdown

I've been able to keep my daily 90 minutes runs in motion and it ain't pretty.

My legs are dulled and my somewhat floppy belly adds to the load. My body lumbers down the trail, as I strive to stay in chi stance and shuffle along.

But as it has been, and will be, I must let my mind rule my body. When I succumbed to Guillain-Barre, some said I wouldn't run again, or that I would be relegated to a walker. That was December 1992 and in May 1993 I finished the Ice Age 50 mile. Mind had to tell the body it was time to race again.

When the L-5/S-1 disc took a bad turn in 2008, I was told it might be time to conclude the running career and move on to more sedentary activities. It was a bad time but the running prevailed.

I won't declare that our minds can overcome all physical ailments. But I do believe we impregnate our minds, and subsequent bodies, with imprints of how we will respond and perform. My body may ache and move slowly, but it is aware that on most days I'll push it out the door for a run. It's been that way for most of the past 27 years and it won't stop any time soon.

So as all master competitors age and fade, it's going to be up to us. We can take the weak path and pull the pin and call it over. Or, we can tell the mind to take the body forward and extract run after run after run.

Take a moment and decide how you want things to be. But I'd suggest mind over meltdown does have its merits.

No comments:

Post a Comment