Friday, April 30, 2010

Taper

I have to be truthful to the throngs of master competitor readers and state that I remain torched from the Valle Crucis 15 miler last Saturday. My knees are tweaked and tendons in my feet ache. Most can be attributed to the long descents. Instead of holding back, I went berserk on the downhills and let my feet recklessly slap the pavement with disregard to legs, hips and back. On one section I saw a guy with a "no whining" logo on his back; I blew by while thinking "hope you don't whine when master competitor takes you on the left."

Saw the guy at the awards ceremony when he was awarded a medal for winning the 60+ class. That's when I realized what a dickwad I can be...at least within my own mind.

Had an interesting turn of events this morning. Found two sections of new trail off the greenway in Boone. My off road loop is getting larger and larger, as I am learning to circumnavigate around many of the sections of paved and crushed stone. So instead of taper, today became a 2-hour walk/run. I should have cut back and rested for tomorrow's 8 hour run in Virginia. But as Hyman Roth said to Michael Corleone in The Godfather: Part II "this is the business we have chosen."

Ultrarunning is a sometimes unforgiving pastime. The body tries to heal as we push it forward into the race. We compartmentalize pain and adapt our appendages. It's the way of the sport. We compete to see the finish line.

Temps are supposed to soar to the high 80's tomorrow. Most of us won't be prepared for that. And I believe we'll see one aid station on each five mile loop. It'll be a fill the water bottles and walk sort of day.

Hope you all have a great weekend. Let's embrace the path set before us.

No comments:

Post a Comment