Sunday, April 25, 2010

Cruisin' Crucis

I'm glad to report that I have completed my annual attempt at speed work this season.

Ran the Valle Crucis 15 mile yesterday. Since it was "only" 15 miles I thought I'd hang it out.

There were big, long uphills and then hip-jarring descents. Several sections of the course included dirt roads with crushed rock that wreaked havoc with footing. But throughout it all, the glory of Valle Crucis was all around. I still find it hard to believe I live in a wonderful mountain community where a calendar-quality views await around every turn.

It's fun to do low key, local events with camaraderie and competition combined. And I'll remember this race for the related swag; the goody bag included a large piece of packaged, processed ham from the Daniel Boone restaurant.

On this day and at this age, my best effort resulted in a 2:15 finish. Nothing magic in that, I didn't even crack the top 3 in 50-59 class racing. But it was a good event for master competitor. I continue to make peace with my current abilities. Accepting realtities while participating is a hard journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment