Skip to main content

Born to run (my mouth)

There's been so much buzz on this book that I finally had to read it, or rather, listen to it on audiobook while running.

"Born to Run" is a new publication that documents the running history of the Taramuhara Indians, their spiteful race with ultra goddess Ann Trason, the advocacy of barefoot running, Barefoot Ted as part of that advocacy, and diet magic that can make you run hundreds of miles with a smile on your face.

Author Christopher McDougall does an excellent job of combining an epic assortment of running related topics. The story of the Taramuhara running in the Leadville 100 mile ultrarun was well known within the ultra community when it happened several years ago; but McDougall frames the information in a way that brings the tale to the masses.

If you'd like to glance into the peephole of an ultrarunner's mind, give this book a listen or read. Strange things happen when one stays on the trail for 50 miles or more and McDougall brings forward an agenda that begs for further debate:

1) As a Bluestreak member of the Brooks Sports athletic promotions team, I'm not going to advocate barefoot running. Sorry, just ain't going to do it. I'm quite happy having my feet well wrapped and protected by Brooks footwear. McDougall writes of footstrike and impact, but what about the uppers and toebox? Ever jam your toes into a rock or root? Maybe I'm a clumsy old fart but no thanks, I'll keep my toes shielded when on the trail, thank you.

2) The mystical side of running long distance is to be respected, but it doesn't have to overpower the essence of endurance sport. I understand the relationship between the Taramuhara and a copacetic existence. But sometimes I run angry and have a really good time of it. I'm running the Salem Lake 50K in frigid temps in Winston-Salem, NC tomorrow morning. I may pause on occasion to thank the Lord for all my blessings (there are many) but for another portion of time I'll be listening to Gene Simmons' new autobiography on his life with the band Kiss entitled "Sex Money Kiss." Should be a good listen but not totally mystical in nature.

I may rant more in future installments, but don't take my word for it. Read the book and send me your comments...I'm interested.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Break(down)

You have to look closely (click and enlarge photo if needed), but when you do, check out the 5th metacarpal (bone furthest from thumb).

The diagonal break is symbolic of what happens when your mountain bike handlebars snap around 360 degrees, and those bars catch your hand against the bike frame during the rotation.

Well there you have it. I got up after my ride over the bars and knew something was wrong, but didn't want to admit it. Rode about three miles back to the car, then went a week with some ice and heat. Thought it was good, until I smacked the same bone on the bars during a road ride the following weekend.

Time to stop the charades and get to urgent care.

For the past three weeks, I have been in a formed splint that kept the pinkie and ring fingers immobilized in a hooked formation. Don't want those tendons to move across the bone. As the doc stated, it's a "forgiving" break, but nonetheless you don't want to give the bone any excuse to shift; that…

Nothing to see here, folks

It's been a long time since I've been active on my blog. To be honest, I got tired of putting in the work, creating content, with so little feedback or response. Time to divert to other things...such as my new fiction book, coming out soon. Part horror story, part steamy romance. You'll definitely want a copy.

There's another reason I haven't been posting. My endurance spirit is broken.

Some medical issues, some sadness is loss of speed. I don't have much range left in my pulse rate and I have put on a blob of weight.

I "ran" my 10 mile loop this morning...in 2:18. Is that ugly, or what? An overall fatigue follows the run. I remember a few years ago, I'd bang it out in straight 9's for a 1:30 - and at that time had a long section of medium effort trail included, too.

It's the new normal. It's age appropriate. I'll be 59 in two weeks. Let's get real.

Rode my mountain bike Sunday after church. Don't know what I hit but I went…

Fitness setback? Use the healing power of plants

Maybe you're like me. You had achieved a fitness and nutrition peak, but then slid off the mountain. Hey, most of us aren't professional athletes and we aren't paid to be ripped and shredded, right? Life got in the way. I produced my dossier for tenure, then finished several academic publications. And, there is always teaching and a responsilbity to the student experience. I'm not proud of the outcome, but that's how it works for me. When I wrote "Mind Over Diet" the key premise was self-negotiation. You must create your own scenarios that drive action. It's time to start over. My advice is to build your comeback with food, not exercise. Everyone wants to run to the gym and crank the big workouts...how long does that usually last? I'd suggest the food is the ultimate change agent. Eat as close to "alive" as possible; take the processing and chemicals out. Fresh food will bring life back into your body. That's the foundation. Here…