Sunday, December 27, 2009

The old dog and the pony

Had a great day yesterday hanging out at my brother's in La Crosse, WI. After the traditional holiday pig fest, we were beached in the TV room watching an infomercial for PX90.

Ever see this workout package? I think it's one of the few on the market that actually delivers. No five minutes a day junk, this program demands an intense one hour per day workout, inclusive of "muscle confusion" tactics that changes up the exercise enough to accelerate results.

So after a bit I sent one of my nephews on a quick Internet assignment: Check out PX90 on eBay. It's all good; the retail price is $120 but you can pick up a used version for $50.

Where is all this leading? To a comment I heard on the infomercial. Some dude promoting his ripped body stated that PX90 is not a "one trick pony" and that it's an all-around performance program. That led to some introspection on today's run, where I realized that I'm both a one trick pony and an old dog. The adages are:

1) He's just a one trick pony
2) You can't teach an old dog new tricks

So there you have it. My one trick has always been ultrarunning. Has been, will be. That's what I do. I dabbled in triathlon and marathon running (if approximately 75 marathons is dabbling) and I continue to swim a bit, bike on occasion, do spin classes, attend yoga and crank out on the Cybex machines, but this one trick pony runs ultras.

And no, you really can't teach old dogs new tricks. I watched some of the PX90 thrusts and squats and can visualize my L-5/S-1 disc exploding. As I crumple to the floor, a flashing icon touting "game over!" is flashing on the screen.

It's time to rebuild a program for 2010. I let myself slip in the worst way and it's going to be a long journey back. If you'd like to come along for the ride, check back in with master competitor from time to time, I'll be posting some of the ups and downs pursuant to the struggle.

Journey on, comrades.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tom,
    I love the "game over"... great visualization. I'll continue to enjoy reading your blog as you rebuild.
    Blair

    ReplyDelete