Saturday, October 24, 2009

Guest blog

Here's a guest blog entry from a master competitor who continues to fan the flames and and keep the lifestyle alive. I can wax on ad nauseam and it doesn't always hit the mark like Robert's message.

FYI the shout out to David Bailey is re: his return to the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon after many years away. Bailey led for awhile and took second in the wheelchair division.

Thanks Robert, it's all good when you're living and loving the sport of motocross!

Hi Tom,

I think it was Racer X Magazine, from a report on this year's Daytona Bike week that put me on to your blog. Your gentle insight and interesting idealism keep me coming back; and, your inspiration.

Attached are two photos. The first (thin.gif) is of me in 2004 on a 1974 Honda Elsinore 125. At 47 years young then, I was reasonably fit and mean; entered three intermediate classes that day at the vintage race at Strawberry Hill MX in South Carolina and won all three going away. If you can believe it, the second photo is the same dude (me) this month at a modern race at Devil's Ridge MX in North Carolina. What happened? Life crashed in. Daughter in grad school; too much to worry about; the same old song and dance.

After reading your blog for a few months, I became inspired. I'm back on the 2004 diet, back to racing (hadn't raced but a few times since 2004. have now raced 7 times since August 15, 2009), and doing regular, though not yet strenuous exercise. You inspired me, and I thank you for that. My hope is that in a few months (by the Vintage National at Gatorback in February) I can send another photo of that thin dude.

From your October 13 post, it sounds like you are questioning your endurance in the endurance sport.

I'll give you another of my inspirations. Joe Lennert of Hendersonville, NC is 65 years young and still rides MX several times per week and races several times per year. Obviously, you also know similarly inspiring folks from endurance sport (in fact, you recently posted about one). It is from these folks where I learn the worth of all the pain to get back into some semblance of shape and to keep on keeping on. I hope you will do likewise.

Of course, one of the all time great inspirations is David Bailey. He came oh-so-close to another Iron Man win this year. But, regardless of his competition success rate, just his life inspires us all to do our best.

As you very well know, it is the things above life which contribute to our living. Stay tough; enjoy the ride.

With best regards and best wishes for a long and happy trail,

Robert Watson
Clayton, NC

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:31 AM

    Robert,
    Keep up the dream! Too many people let their mind tell us we can't when we still can!
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:53 PM

    Hi Tom,
    This your friend from high school. email me back ok. cgunderson56@charter.net Cindy Schmidt

    ReplyDelete