Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rebuild and renew

Hello comrades. Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. Got my ass handed to me at the Bridge to Bridge mountain century last Sunday and haven't been the same since.

Truth is, I built my endurance plan like a house of cards and it all came tumbling down.

No excuses, just lack of preparation and a vivid imagination - an imagination that allowed me to believe I was capable of participating in an event that was way over my fitness level.

When Lance said the Boone area was one of the best training regions in the country, there was a reason: It's difficult terrain that can challenge elite cyclists. I'm not elite and Sunday was a good example. It rained all day and I was wet and cold and off the back. Finally pulled the pin at 55 miles, expired and humiliated.

It's going to be a long road back. I'm no longer a pre-master competitor of the 80's and 90's and rehab is slow. I've been sick and my lungs still can't pull air like they used to. My muscles are sore and my pace is s-l-o-w. I can't run or ride hills. Found a flat road to bike on near Todd, NC. My running is mostly based on the stadium track at Appalachian State. Other elements I'm incorporating into my new regime is a healthy diet and yoga.

So my friends, I'll post when I think there's something relevant to say. This life isn't for the meek and timid and I'm afraid I'm both at present.

Give me some time.

Thanks for your understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment