Monday, September 28, 2009

(My buddy is) fit as a fiddle

Photo at left demonstrates a contrast in training and endurance sport styles at the recent Bridge to Bridge mountain century.

Dude in red is my buddy Jimmy Clegg. We've known each other for over 20 years. Ran my fastest marathon ever with Jimmy (1988). He's fit, determined, rides high end well maintained equipment, and dons cutting edge apparel. Locked and loaded and ready to go.

Other dude is me. Looking like a walking eBay sale. Frumpy gear and a thick belly. Fatty fat fat diet. All hat and no cattle. Equipment last checked prior to the last ride - whenever that was.

Jimmy went out hard and fast, paced with the peloton and finished in 6:19, 54th of our 274 finishers. 105 miles to the top of Grandfather Mountain.

Tom got dropped like a hot rock off the start. Rode in the back and passed on guy from Ft. Lauderdale. Wet and cold and slow. Didn't finish because he pulled the pin at the 55 mile mark and drove home.

Nothing better than having good friends who can set high standards. I have one standing next to me. Time to find a way back to where I was, find the fork in the road where I deviated.

2 comments:

  1. Chin up, MC. You'll work your way into NC shape. I like the new look. It's very professor-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the hair.

    ReplyDelete